Intro

  • ribbitsmum
    Message 1 of 60 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hi All,

      I just joined yesterday and have been trying to do a bit of reading
      before introducing myself.

      I live in southern New Hampshire with my amazing hubby, darling almost
      9 year old daughter and am expecting my son in early May. In addition
      to the humans in the household we also are servants to 5 cats, 2 rats,
      a beta fish and a turtle.

      To help pay for my hobbies I drive a school bus, but am an artist at
      heart and occasionally by trade, mainly dyeing fiber and yarn for
      spinners and weavers.

      I first learned to sew when I was 4 or 5 by doing the straight seams
      on the Barbie outfits my mom used to make for my dolls. I also learned
      to knit and crochet at an early age, and took up spinning and dyeing
      about 4 years ago. I've managed to "avoid" learning bobbin lace until
      now, but I think this pregnancy is bringing out the desire to learn
      lots of new crafts.

      I didn't want to spend a whole bunch of money on something I wasn't
      sure I'd like, so got the beginner kit from Lacis. I'm a firm believer
      in better tools make for a more enjoyable experience, but figured if I
      enjoyed the process the new toys can come a few at a time in the
      future. So far, I'll I've done is a tiny 1" section of weaving ground,
      but I think I'm hooked already. I can see matched pairs of bobbins
      (with spangles of course) in my future as I'm having to stop and count
      pairs every few twists and crosses.

      My first purchase is going to be a good book though. I was amazed to
      find a section on bobbin lace in my copy of a Reader's Digest
      needlecraft book that has a bit of everything in it, so I figure that
      will keep me busy for at least a few weeks while I get comfortable
      with the motions.

      Time to get crafting, talk to you all soon. I'm sure I'll have a
      zillion or so questions as I get going.

      Alice
    • jeanne.brockway
      Message 60 of 60 , Feb 27, 2015
        Hello all, I have been fascinated by Bobbin lace for quite awhile now. I finally dove in and bought a kit. I haven't been brave enough or really had an uninterrupted 2-3hours to sit and concentrate on getting started. I read everything I can find and will keep you all informed when I finally start.
        Jeanne

        Sent from my iPad