Re: [bobbinlace] Miniature lace

  • Karen Zammit Manduca
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2006
      Barbara,

      I have two books on miniature lace by Roz Snowden and each of the books has
      a wealth of information about the thread to use and thicknesses, and I
      believe she also makes some comparisons between similar threads.

      Karen in Malta

    • Misha Saillant
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
        Hello Karen !
        about ''Roz ''books ,I did look many many times to these books on
        the web and the blue one really interest me .
        but tell me the exact meanning of ''miniature'' ...is't item
        specially use for doll of if it can be use on other ways?
        hope you can understand what I mean !
        I'd love delicate and small piece that I can use later like for
        example ,decorating a card ,clothes or insert in a
        medallion,...things like this .
        thanks for your help!
        hugs,Misha
        ****************

        --- In bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Zammit Manduca"
        <kazaman@k...> wrote:

        > Barbara,
        >
        > I have two books on miniature lace by Roz Snowden and each of the
        books has
        > a wealth of information about the thread to use and thicknesses,
        and I
        > believe she also makes some comparisons between similar threads.
        >
        > Karen in Malta

      • Carol Adkinson
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
          Hi Misha,

          Both of the books are marvellous, and I have used several of the prickings
          for just the sort of thing you want - card inserts and bookmarks, motifs etc
          for small frames. Some of them are quite intricate - I made the cot quilt,
          which is lots of little squares - a sort of sampler in miniature really -
          and it got sadly damaged after it was taken off my pillow. Not by me, I
          hasten to add, but it was somewhat traumatic!!!

          Carol - in Suffolk UK.

          > about ''Roz ''books ,I did look many many times to these books on
          > the web and the blue one really interest me .
          > but tell me the exact meanning of ''miniature'' ...is't item
          > specially use for doll of if it can be use on other ways?
          > hope you can understand what I mean !
          > I'd love delicate and small piece that I can use later like for
          > example ,decorating a card ,clothes or insert in a
          > medallion,...things like this .
          > thanks for your help!
          > hugs,Misha
          > ****************
          >

          > --- In bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Zammit Manduca"
          > <kazaman@k...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Barbara,
          > >
          > > I have two books on miniature lace by Roz Snowden and each of the
          > books has
          > > a wealth of information about the thread to use and thicknesses,
          > and I
          > > believe she also makes some comparisons between similar threads.
          > >
          > > Karen in Malta

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Misha Saillant
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
            so you recommend this book Carol ...perfect!
            thanks a lot my dear ,I'll order it soon.
            I'm right now waiting to receive my books from my last order from before december .I'Ve choose :Introducing Traditional Bedfordshire Lace,& 50 New Bobbin Lace Patterns.
            can wait to receive them.
            tell me if the miniature books have clear working diagrams & intruction?
            and if you 've good suggestion for books,who include: the # of bobbins to use and where to begin with
            this is an other thing that I 'm not sure that I understand ''how to ''...so it's a big help when it's indicated.
            so when comes the time to choose & buy books it's not an easy thing!
            hugs,Misha

            > about ''Roz ''books ,I did look many many times to these books on
            > the web and the blue one really interest me .
            > but tell me the exact meanning of ''miniature'' ...is't item
            > specially use for doll of if it can be use on other ways?
            > hope you can understand what I mean !
            > I'd love delicate and small piece that I can use later like for
            > example ,decorating a card ,clothes or insert in a
            > medallion,...things like this .
            > thanks for your help!
            > hugs,Misha
            > ****************
            >

            > --- In bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Zammit Manduca"
            > <kazaman@k...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Barbara,
            > >
            > > I have two books on miniature lace by Roz Snowden and each of the
            > books has
            > > a wealth of information about the thread to use and thicknesses,
            > and I
            > > believe she also makes some comparisons between similar threads.
            > >
            > > Karen in Malta

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • THOMAS SAKIEVIC

              > about ''Roz ''books ,I did look many many times to these books on
              > the web and the blue one really interest me .
              > but tell me the exact meanning of ''miniature'' ...is't item
              > specially use for doll of if it can be use on other ways?
              > hope you can understand what I mean !
              > I'd love delicate and small piece that I can use later like for
              > example ,decorating a card ,clothes or insert in a
              > medallion,...things like this .
              > thanks for your help!
              > hugs,Misha
              > ****************
              >

              > --- In bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Zammit Manduca"
              > <kazaman@k...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Barbara,
              > >
              > > I have two books on miniature lace by Roz Snowden and each of the
              > books has
              > > a wealth of information about the thread to use and thicknesses,
              > and I
              > > believe she also makes some comparisons between similar threads.
              > >
              > > Karen in Malta

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Rebecca
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
                Hi Marji,
                It was perfect timeing to see your email tonight. I have been doing
                internet research on the paper bpbbin, and was thinking about
                getting some of the materials tomorrow while I was running my
                errands in town. Now I know that I will get what I need to make some.

                Thanks,
                Rebecca

                --- In bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS SAKIEVIC <tsakievich@s...>
                wrote:

                > Ladies,
                >
                > I tried the paper bobbins! Making them. I used Christmas paper
                and it was fun. They really do look nice. I haven't tried
                spangling them yet. Just made a couple. I'll have to try them on a
                pillow. Thanks for the idea.

                > Marji
                >
                > Misha Saillant <saillant@i...> wrote:
                > so you recommend this book Carol ...perfect!
                > thanks a lot my dear ,I'll order it soon.
                > I'm right now waiting to receive my books from my last order from
                before december .I'Ve choose :Introducing Traditional Bedfordshire
                Lace,& 50 New Bobbin Lace Patterns.
                > can wait to receive them.
                > tell me if the miniature books have clear working diagrams &
                intruction?
                > and if you 've good suggestion for books,who include: the # of
                bobbins to use and where to begin with
                > this is an other thing that I 'm not sure that I understand ''how
                to ''...so it's a big help when it's indicated.
                > so when comes the time to choose & buy books it's not an easy
                thing!
                > hugs,Misha

                Service.

              • THOMAS SAKIEVIC
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
                  I found it very important to have the right size knitting needle to wrap the paper around. I just used a glue stick to glue the paper. It was pretty quick and fun. You need a size 0 or 1 mm size knitting needle, anything bigger and it just doesn't get small enough.

                  Happy lacing,

                  Marji

                  wrote:

                  > Ladies,
                  >
                  > I tried the paper bobbins! Making them. I used Christmas paper
                  and it was fun. They really do look nice. I haven't tried
                  spangling them yet. Just made a couple. I'll have to try them on a
                  pillow. Thanks for the idea.

                  > Marji
                  >
                  > Misha Saillant <saillant@i...> wrote:
                  > so you recommend this book Carol ...perfect!
                  > thanks a lot my dear ,I'll order it soon.
                  > I'm right now waiting to receive my books from my last order from
                  before december .I'Ve choose :Introducing Traditional Bedfordshire
                  Lace,& 50 New Bobbin Lace Patterns.
                  > can wait to receive them.
                  > tell me if the miniature books have clear working diagrams &
                  intruction?
                  > and if you 've good suggestion for books,who include: the # of
                  bobbins to use and where to begin with
                  > this is an other thing that I 'm not sure that I understand ''how
                  to ''...so it's a big help when it's indicated.
                  > so when comes the time to choose & buy books it's not an easy
                  thing!
                  > hugs,Misha

                  Service.

                • Carol Adkinson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 3, 2006
                    Hello Misha,

                    I am sure you'll be delighted with the books on miniature lace - some of
                    them are not really for beginners - for a start, the thread is *extremely*
                    fine, so no Torchon tugs! - but just to look at they make your eyes water!
                    They do have instructions, but if you get a bit stuck, I am sure that those
                    of us on Yahoo, and on Arachne (have you joined Arachne? Its another group,
                    probably even more helpful than the Yahoo one, as it is truly international
                    ...) can give our four pennyworth of help.

                    I have both of the others too, and they are both excellent! So - make lots
                    of lace, and if you want any help, just shout!

                    Carol - in Suffolk UK.

                    > so you recommend this book Carol ...perfect!
                    > thanks a lot my dear ,I'll order it soon.
                    > I'm right now waiting to receive my books from my last order from before
                    december .I'Ve choose :Introducing Traditional Bedfordshire Lace,& 50 New
                    Bobbin Lace Patterns.
                    > can wait to receive them.
                    > tell me if the miniature books have clear working diagrams & intruction?
                    > and if you 've good suggestion for books,who include: the # of bobbins to
                    use and where to begin with
                    > this is an other thing that I 'm not sure that I understand ''how to
                    ''...so it's a big help when it's indicated.
                    > so when comes the time to choose & buy books it's not an easy thing!
                    > hugs,Misha

                    Service.

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Misha Saillant
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 3, 2006
                      hello Carol!
                      when you say that the thread is really fine ,you mean what size 120 or more ?cotton or silk ?

                      talking about thread... is't a good idea to keep a thread box at home with one of each size thread or if it's most of the time the same sizes thread (except rare occasion)
                      what size is the most often use?
                      cotton or linen?

                      no I'm not on the Arachne group ...
                      thanks a lot for your advice Carol ...I really appreciate !
                      hugs,Misha

                      > so you recommend this book Carol ...perfect!
                      > thanks a lot my dear ,I'll order it soon.
                      > I'm right now waiting to receive my books from my last order from before
                      december .I'Ve choose :Introducing Traditional Bedfordshire Lace,& 50 New
                      Bobbin Lace Patterns.
                      > can wait to receive them.
                      > tell me if the miniature books have clear working diagrams & intruction?
                      > and if you 've good suggestion for books,who include: the # of bobbins to
                      use and where to begin with
                      > this is an other thing that I 'm not sure that I understand ''how to
                      ''...so it's a big help when it's indicated.
                      > so when comes the time to choose & buy books it's not an easy thing!
                      > hugs,Misha

                      Service.

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Misha Saillant
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 3, 2006
                        I've no doubt Marji they surely look very nice !
                        it's a good way to use nice paper we have and remaining beads from
                        her & there.
                        I personally use the paper from the ''giftwraps by artists ''books.
                        you can find & see them here :
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/202-4375048-
                        5745468
                        if don't already know it ...I'm completely crazy about books !
                        hugs,Misha

                        wrote:

                        > Ladies,
                        >
                        > I tried the paper bobbins! Making them. I used Christmas paper
                        and it was fun. They really do look nice. I haven't tried
                        spangling them yet. Just made a couple. I'll have to try them on a
                        pillow. Thanks for the idea.

                        > Marji
                        >
                        > Misha Saillant <saillant@i...> wrote:
                        > so you recommend this book Carol ...perfect!
                        > thanks a lot my dear ,I'll order it soon.
                        > I'm right now waiting to receive my books from my last order from
                        before december .I'Ve choose :Introducing Traditional Bedfordshire
                        Lace,& 50 New Bobbin Lace Patterns.
                        > can wait to receive them.
                        > tell me if the miniature books have clear working diagrams &
                        intruction?
                        > and if you 've good suggestion for books,who include: the # of
                        bobbins to use and where to begin with
                        > this is an other thing that I 'm not sure that I understand ''how
                        to ''...so it's a big help when it's indicated.
                        > so when comes the time to choose & buy books it's not an easy
                        thing!
                        > hugs,Misha

                        Service.

                      • THOMAS SAKIEVIC
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 4, 2006
                          I agree with Misha, they do need to be spangled for the weight. I have that yet to do.

                          wrote:

                          > Ladies,
                          >
                          > I tried the paper bobbins! Making them. I used Christmas paper
                          and it was fun. They really do look nice. I haven't tried
                          spangling them yet. Just made a couple. I'll have to try them on a
                          pillow. Thanks for the idea.

                          > Marji
                          >
                          > Misha Saillant <saillant@i...> wrote:
                          > so you recommend this book Carol ...perfect!
                          > thanks a lot my dear ,I'll order it soon.
                          > I'm right now waiting to receive my books from my last order from
                          before december .I'Ve choose :Introducing Traditional Bedfordshire
                          Lace,& 50 New Bobbin Lace Patterns.
                          > can wait to receive them.
                          > tell me if the miniature books have clear working diagrams &
                          intruction?
                          > and if you 've good suggestion for books,who include: the # of
                          bobbins to use and where to begin with
                          > this is an other thing that I 'm not sure that I understand ''how
                          to ''...so it's a big help when it's indicated.
                          > so when comes the time to choose & buy books it's not an easy
                          thing!
                          > hugs,Misha

                          Service.