old prickings re issued by a french museum

  • dominique
    Message 1 of 20 , May 1, 2001
      sure !
      hello Lisa and everybody have you heard about the patterns issued by the musee des manufactures de dentelle in Retournac, near le Puy. They have kept all the prickings that were designed by the lace manufactures since the 1850'ies and they're re issuing them with a photo of the lace (there's a lacemaker who checks the prickings and makes a sample ..)
      it's not too expensive . they have issued 3 sets of patterns that i think are wonderful and it all can be seen on their website . ( translated in english .)
      http://perso.wanadoo.fr/musee-manufacture-dentelles/index.htm

      i have nothing to do with them . i just support them because they're doing a great job and need to sell the prickings to as many lacemakers as possible to be able to continue the good work .. their budget is pretty tight .

      dominique from paris
    • Bernard Kurz
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 13, 2003
        Hello,
        I have just joined this list. I have been making bobbinlace for over 18 yrs. now. Also have been tatting for more than 30 yrs. My favorite bobbinlace to make is Buckspoint although I do enjoy torchon and Russianlace also.
        I am a grandmother living in Ariz. with my husband and many dogs. I breed AKC Samoyeds.
        I save all their fur[brushings] and spin and knit with it. Love to enter fairs and have been doing that since I was 16 yrs. old.
        Presently I am working on a hanky edging in torchonlace. If anyone knows of bookmark patterns on the internet could they please post the site.
        Regards,
        Ruth

      • desertlacer
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 14, 2003
          " Love to enter fairs and have been doing that since I was 16 yrs.
          old."

          Yes Ruth!!!!! And taking off with all the prizes!!!!!hahaha

          from Margaret,
          in the hot Arizona desert
          May your threads never tangle!!!
        • Barbara
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 17, 2003
            Hello,
            I'm Barbara in KY and I've just become addicted to bobbin lace. Can I
            pick your experienced brains a little bit?
          • romdom
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 24, 2005
              hello everybody

              my name's dominique, i'm 56 and live in Paris, France . apart from lace i
              love growing orchids (though i dont have any at the moment at home . i'm
              real good at overwatering them and they don't like it at all . I'll buy new
              ones in spring and try to do better .) and gardening, container gardening in
              my case since i live in a groundfloor flat overlooking a yard . the
              container garden is my cat's personnal jungle , even has a pine log to
              scratch .
              Right now black Othello's sitting on one of my lace pillow by the computer ,
              watching me . he loves being on lace pillows . i guess it must be cosy and
              warm .
              i have been doing lace on and off for about ten years . i tried torchon,
              cluny, russian, Bruges flower lace called fin fleuri in french and i'm doing
              Tonder at the moment . i didnt feel like it but once started found it was
              really funny and interesting . i have meters of it to make since i want to
              change the lace on an old cotton nightgown and it has lace aroung both
              sleeves and neck, around the bottom and waist and on the bodice . i haven't
              measured it all yet but i guess i'll need 4 or 5 meters .....
              as i like makin yardages i should be ok .
              i'm part of a lace group in Vincennes (a little town on the outskirts of
              Paris) which i started with friends last year . we meet every saturday
              afternoon except during school holidays .
              and last but not least i'm part of arachne, that wonderful international
              weblist of lacers .

              if you ever come to Paris i'll be delighted to meet you .
              happy lacing and happy Xmas too !

              dominique (aka romdom) from cold and grey paris, france.
            • delia.palin@tiscali.co.uk
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 28, 2005
                Hello Dominique!

                My name is Delia Palin, and I had a penfriend when I was at school called Dominique. She lived in Paris, and her father owned several shoe shops. She came to stay with me one summer, and I was supposed to be going back to stay with her the following year, but it did not happen. It would be amazing if you were that girl! I am afraid I do not remember her surname. Reading your message brought back so many memories for me. We are about the same age, too. Your English is excellent, and only wish my French was as good. I can read it much better than I can write or speak it.

                I have been making lace for about 6 years. I originally wanted to learn so that I could make jewellery in silver wire using lace techniques, like Lenka Suchanek. I have tried making wire lace, but I do not think I am very good at it! The results are always disappointing and I love lacemaking for itself now so much that I do not have time to concentrate on making the wire lace better. I usually make Torchon lace, but have tried Milanese, and Honiton, and am at present learning Bucks Point. I managed to buy a very old Flanders lace pillow over the internet, and was hoping to study on a course of Flanders lace in March, but unfortunately I left it too late to book, so will have to wait till next year now. I have books on Bruges Flower lace but have not yet tried to make it. There are so many lovely things to do, and I don't seem to have time for all of them. I have heard of Tonder lace, but have never seen any. The only amount of yardage I have ever made was a lace garter for my friend to wear at her wedding. That was only 36 inches long, but I was glad when it was finished, as I was getting rather bored with it by the end, and wanted to do something different.

                I am also part of Arachne, and find the discussions on there very interesting. Have you ever taken part in Secret Pals? I have done it for the first time this year. It was great fun.

                I hope you continue to enjoy your lacemaking for many years to come. It is good to be in contact with you.

                Best Wishes for 2006.

                Dee Palin (I was Delia Earl, of Leicestershire!)
                Gloucestershire

              • judy WRAY
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 5, 2008
                  I am very new to bobbin lace, and am anxious to try it out. I have many interests. I do quilting, crazy quilts, embroidery and I have just taught myself tatting in the last couple of months. I really enjoy working with my hands. I have a wonderful husband of 39 yrs and a beautiful daughter of 26 yrs who just got married this past weekend. It was a beautiful wedding and He is a wonderful son-in-law. I am very happy for them both. I learned tatting from books and the net. I am wondering how to learn bobbinlace and would like all the help I can get. I live in new Jersey. thanks Judy