Introduction

  • lynda@xxxxxxxx.xx
    Message 1 of 196 , Oct 6, 1999
      Hello fellow bobbinlace makers,
      My name is Lynda Libby. I started this list in hopes of getting in touch with other people who know how to make bobbin lace. Let me tell you how I got started with bobbin lace. My husband and I were sent to the Netherlands in 1986 for his job. We lived there for 4 years. A year before we were to go back to the States, someone suggested I learn bobbin lace so I could take a European skill back with me. So I took lessons for about a year. At the time I had 3 preschoolers and was pregnant with #4. When we moved back to the States I didn't have much time to work on any projects, as you can imagine with 4 preschoolers, and after a few years forgot some of the techniques. In January of 1998 we were asked to move back to Holland. I was excited about being able to take more lessons in bobbin lace, which I've been doing now for the last year and a half. (I take private lessons from an 80 year old lady, in the Dutch language,and she only charges $3.75 for 2 hours.) We are scheduled to move back to our home in Vancouver, WA in July 2000.

      We would like to hear from you. Tell why you signed up for this list - we are open to suggestions. Tell about yourself. To be honest, I'm not much of a writer, so I'm not planning on sending a weekly newsletter or anything like that. This list is really for the members and from the members. We can make it what we want. As I said in the summary, I'd also like to learn from you where you get supplies, so I'll have some resources when we move back to the U.S. So, please don't be shy, and let us hear from you soon.

      Lynda
    • Brenda Paternoster
      Message 196 of 196 , Jan 30
        Hi Sue

        If the trader in New York is the one I think you mean she is very good, but there is just one lace supplier that I know of in Canada
        http://www.trilliumlace.ca/

        All the usual disclaimers, (not strictly true as they both stocked the last edition of my threads book,) but I do know that Canada is a bit of a wilderness when it comes to lace supplies and we would all rather spend the pennies/cents on equipment rather than shipping and taxes.

        Brenda

        > On 30 Jan 2015, at 17:39, Susan van Hees sjvanhees@... [bobbinlace] <bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        >
        > I have ordered basic supplies from New York which will no doubt cost me more in shipping and duty than the supplies but what the heck!

        Brenda in Allhallows
        paternoster@...
        www.brendapaternoster.co.uk