Bobbins

  • Mary Ann
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
      Hello, I have always wanted to do bobbin lace and last winter
      collected a nice collection of bobbins from e-bay.Unfortunately my
      hands have been bothering me and I won't be able to do this work.
      If anyone is interested in buying the bobbins I will give them up.
      you can mail me privately
      thanks Mary Ann
    • Rozanne Charish
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 1, 2004
        Hi Mary Ann. May I ask what kind of bobbins? Are they spangled or plain, bone or wood? Many thanks and I hope your hands improve. Regards, Rozanne.
        Hello, I have always wanted to do bobbin lace and last winter
        collected a nice collection of bobbins from e-bay.Unfortunately my
        hands have been bothering me and I won't be able to do this work.
        If anyone is interested in buying the bobbins I will give them up.
        you can mail me privately
        thanks Mary Ann

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Get unlimited calls to

        U.S./Canada

      • tessie grima

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 2, 2005
            Ok,
            I'm brand new at Bobbin Lace (I do tat, knit and crochet) ----so brand new that I just got my very first own bobbins ----but, the lovely lady that gave them to me -----has a hunk of lace on the pillow, pulled the pins on maybe 6" of it, left all the pins in about 4" ----got frustrated of the mess, CUT OFF all the bobbins ------and, would like me to be able to salvage what she did.......can anyone help me with this? I would think that if I took the pins out it would all unravel or fall apart? and, yet what she did is lovely, would like to save for her (maybe as a bookmark).......it's a set of 18 bobbins, size 50 DMC thread and please help and also -----is their a web site for beginning Bobbin Lace?
            Lynn/Rochester/MI

          • Barbara
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 2, 2005
              Hi Ladies,

              Went into the bobbins exchange folder and looked at the beautiful
              bobbins and would like to know if anything was done to the first set
              of green bobbins or were they just that beautiful color originally?
              They are ever so pretty. Just had surgery on my right hand Thursday
              and have been a bit in-active lately because of the problem that I
              hope is now fixed. Really like the piece of lace that is pictured
              with it and it even looks just like one that is on one of my pillows
              that I have not been able to finish. Beautiful!

              Barbara
              A new short cut to my web site is: Barbara Gordon.ws
            • Rebecca
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 3, 2005
                Hi Barbara,
                Those first bobbins are ones that I did. They are just the plain berch
                bobbins that you can get a dozen for $8.00. All did was a faux marle
                finish on them.

                Thnks,
                Rebecca

                --- In bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara" <bjgordon@e...> wrote:
                > Hi Ladies,
                >
                > Went into the bobbins exchange folder and looked at the beautiful
                > bobbins and would like to know if anything was done to the first set
                > of green bobbins or were they just that beautiful color originally?
                > They are ever so pretty. Just had surgery on my right hand Thursday
                > and have been a bit in-active lately because of the problem that I
                > hope is now fixed. Really like the piece of lace that is pictured
                > with it and it even looks just like one that is on one of my pillows
                > that I have not been able to finish. Beautiful!
                >
                > Barbara
                > A new short cut to my web site is: Barbara Gordon.ws
              • laceylady8349
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 3, 2005
                  Hello fellow lacemakers
                  Why not make a bobbin?
                  Take one umbrella cocktail stick,pull off the umbrella,then glue on
                  pony beads [with a large hole for the stick]
                  Leave a space for the neck, add one tight fitting bead at the top.
                  Then glue a loop of wire at the bottom of the bobbin,finish off with a

                  birdcage spangle,or a glass heart.
                  I found the bobbin very good with slippery threads or metallic!!!
                  Have fun
                  Daphne
                • nkwizitive
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 13, 2006
                    Hi again. Just got back on-line the computer has been acting up.
                    I'm just getting started with bobbin lace. I would like to hear from
                    anyone who has bobbins for sale. Even just a couple would be good.
                    Thanks
                    David
                  • Barbara
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
                      Hi,

                      Along with doing lace and other lace type things, I also do machine
                      embroidery and just in case there are other people out there that do
                      machine embroidery, I have a site that just started selling
                      bobbins and a design with a lace piece with bobbins included for a
                      very reasonable price. Just in case anyone would like to see these
                      these items here is her website:

                      http://jeaniescraftcorner.com

                      You may have to copy and paste this to go her site,but it is worth
                      it. I have been waiting for this for a long time and plan on making
                      cover cloths, decorate a sweatshirt and many other things with these
                      designs. I hope there are others out there who can use these also or
                      maybe know someone else who can do it for them.

                      Barbara
                    • joybern1@bigpond.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
                        Hello Barbara,
                        Thanks for the machine embroidery site.....it looks really great...I do machine embroidery too.
                        Joy
                        joybern1@...
                        http://artbyjoymac.blogspot.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 6, 2007
                          I went to Jeaniescraft web site and really liked the bobbins and lace in
                          progress. I also do machine embroidery and am glad to get the patterns.
                          Trying to get ready for the Atlanta IOLI workshop this weekend.
                          Dianne in Dunlap, TN
                          http://www.aol.com

                        • Brenda
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 23, 2010
                            Hi, Folks,
                            We have been talking about bobbins; I asked my woodworker friend and here's our correspondence:

                            On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Brenda <saguaro@...> wrote:

                            Hi, Shawn,
                            do you know about lace bobbins? I used to live in Brazil and the ladies made bobbin lace. Apparently they make it here, too. The Brazilians' husbands made their bobbins with a knife and sandpaper. Some of them were pretty fancy, too. No gauge involved. They sell by the pair, sometimes by the dozen.

                            On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Shawn shawnhoefer@... wrote:
                            Brenda:
                            I never thought about looking for a bobbin lace group as I do not make bobbin lace. I DO, however, make bobbins. Feel free to pass my name and website forward and I can make whatever they want to order... I can even come close to duplicating existing bobbins if they want to risk an original...

                            Here's one I made out of Walnut. It's about 4-inches long...

                            http://laffing-horse.com/WordPress/wp-content/gallery/crochethooks/SDC10435.JPG

                            This is Shawn Hoefer of Laffing Horse Crafts: http://laffing-horse.com/WordPress/
                            I said that about gauge because his knitting needles and crochet hooks are true to gauge, he mikes them as he goes.

                            Hope this helps in your search.

                            Enjoy! Brenda in Onalaska, WA USA saguaro@...
                            Best book club: www.PaperBackSwap.com

                          • skkyeviolet518
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 22, 2015

                              I have 71 of the plastic midlands bobbins, only one of which is spangled and I would like to send them to someone in the group who either has little access to suppliers or who is just starting out.  There's enough, I think, that they can be split in two.  There's nothing wrong with them.  I got them mixed with wood ones from the daughter of a friend who was not interested in making lace herself.

                            • Pat Kasell
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 19, 2016

                                I like to use a fine Mechelen bobbin that I purchased from Lacemaking in California about 10 years ago.  It is a smaller bobbin.  I tried contacting them before Christmas and didn't receive any response at all.  I've done a search for the bobbin, and haven't gotten any hits.

                                Does anyone know of a source that sells these bobbins?  I really like the size of them.  After using them, other bobbins seem bulky.

                                Thanks,

                                Pat K. in Minnesota

                              • Mavis Williamson