Re: Suggested books

  • Margaret Campbell
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2004
      Thanks for the suggestion to use a Christine Springetts book. I have 2 of her books The Christmas Lace and The Children of All Ages. Picked out one of her lace fans and yesterday with my teacher's help planned it all out. Since I don't have the suggested threads but do have a large supply of thread I'm going to try making it with 3 different colors. It will take just 1 mistake and the color scheme will be off but then retro-lacing is also a good thing to know.

      Another question - what lace magazines does everyone get and which do you like the most?

      I have a subscription to Lace Express and love their patterns but there are no instructions and the pricking doesn't always match the picture of the finished piece.

      The other one I get is Knipling - the Danish Lace Magazine that has an English supplement sent with the magazine. A nice section of lace patterns and lots of interesting articles too.

      Margaret in a cooling Virginia USA

    • Carol Adkinson
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2004
        Hello Margaret,

        I belong to the Lace Guild and the Lacemakers Circle in the UK, as well as
        several 'county' groups, which have their own newsletters too.

        Both the Lace Guild and the Lacemakers Circle have international members,
        and if you are interested I can send you details of membership for both, but
        the Lace Guild has its own site on the Internet. Just type in *Lace Guild*
        and you should get it! Both of these have articles, prickings, help,
        adverts for suppliers etc - the Circle is a more 'hobby-lace-maker'
        orientated, and as such is slightly cheaper per year than the Lace Guild.
        The Lace Guild is a larger newsletter, lots more articles, but more
        expensive per year. They are both in English, so easily understandable for
        us English speakers.

        Hope this helps,

        Carol - in Suffolk UK.

        Subject: [bobbinlace] Re: Suggested books

        > Another question - what lace magazines does everyone get and which do you
        like the most?

      • E.G.F.
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2004
          I don't know if it is of Your interest but I get 5
          magazines 4 times a year:

          the English LACE- Guild Magazin - UK
          http:||www.laceguild. org
          ,
          the Dutch magazines KANT of the KANTCENTRUM in Brugge
          nl. http:||www.kantcentrum.com

          and KANTBRIEF from LOKK , nl. http:||www.LOKK.nl -
          both with Engl. and German translation.

          They contain actuallity, history, book-presentations,
          suppliers, prickings for beginner and old lacemaker
          and very interesting things all about lace written by
          famous lacemakers - mostly about beautiful
          bobbinlace.-

          I receive also the CANADIAN LACE MAGAZINE - English
          with French translation http:www.lacegazette.com

          and the AUSTRALIAN LACE MAGAZINE
          http:www.austlaceguild.org

          The last 2 with very few prickings and only for
          beginners, they contain actuallity and much about
          other laces, as Tatting, Tenerifa, Romenian Lace ecc.

          I wouldn't miss one of them

          Erika

          --- Margaret Campbell <monk_shiva@...> ha
          scritto:

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

          Terms of Service.

          Scopri Mister Yahoo! - il fantatorneo sul calcio di Yahoo! Sport
          http://it.seriea.fantasysports.yahoo.com/