Re: Welcome to bobbinlace@onelist.com

  • jonh schmidt
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28, 1999
      Linda,

      Thanks for your mail.

      I have been a glassblower for 40 years and have been making and collecting
      lace bobbins for some years
      I do manufacture a range of glass lace bobbins which a number of my
      customers do actually use.

      included in the range are replica French Style, Replica Belgique style,
      honniton,malteese'

      If you like I can send you a list of what is available

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 30, 1999
          Hi everyone!
          My name is Beth McCasland, and I recently moved to northern California
          from northeast Arizona. I work for the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, but I
          make lace and quilt for fun and sanity. I am possessed by 4 cats & two dogs
          -- and that was a fun bunch to have in the cab of my truck for 1100 miles!!
          As far as lace goes, I crochet, and make bobbin lace. I've tried
          Tenerife, and Needlelace, but had tangled threads with the former, and was
          too impatient for the latter. I've attempted tatting, but just can't get
          that "knot thing," so I gave up. One of these days I want to learn to knit
          lace -- or to at least try. I'm self taught -- comes from living in a remote
          area, and not letting that stop me from wanting to learn.
          I also quilt, but would much rather make the tops than the hand quilting
          part, and some of my lace has shown up on wall quilts (I can actually
          complete those!). I also do costuming (medieval/renaissance).

          Happy New Year!
          Beth
        • jonh schmidt
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2000
            Hi Beth.

            Although I manufacture & collect Lace makers bobbins, what I do in my spare
            time is what you do as a job, ie wildlife conservation'

            Would be interested to hear more about your work

            yours

            john
            > My name is Beth McCasland, and I recently moved to northern California
            >from northeast Arizona. I work for the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, but I
            >make lace and quilt for fun and sanity. I am possessed by 4 cats & two
            dogs
            >-- and that was a fun bunch to have in the cab of my truck for 1100 miles!!
            > As far as lace goes, I crochet, and make bobbin lace. I've tried
            >Tenerife, and Needlelace, but had tangled threads with the former, and was
            >too impatient for the latter. I've attempted tatting, but just can't get
            >that "knot thing," so I gave up. One of these days I want to learn to knit
            >lace -- or to at least try. I'm self taught -- comes from living in a
            remote
            >area, and not letting that stop me from wanting to learn.
            > I also quilt, but would much rather make the tops than the hand
            quilting
            >part, and some of my lace has shown up on wall quilts (I can actually
            >complete those!). I also do costuming (medieval/renaissance).
            >
            >Happy New Year!
            >Beth

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2000
              --- In bobbinlace@egroups.com, BMcCslnd@... wrote:
              I am possessed by 4 cats & two dogs -- and that was a fun bunch to
              have in the cab of my truck for 1100 miles!!
              I've tried Tenerife, and Needlelace, but had tangled threads with
              the former, and was too impatient for the latter.
              > I also do costuming (medieval/renaissance).
              >
              > Happy New Year!
              > Beth

              Hi Beth, sorry to be so late responding, but just joined today. I
              can appreciate your trip, I made it with 2 kids and only 1 cat. *S*
              I am interested in tenerife, do you have the looms or did you use a
              pillow and pins? Do you have a source for looms & patterns?
              Costuming: have you read 'scagarb' here on e-groups. VERY active
              site. Good patterns, information and chatter. Chris