books

  • Lorelei Halley
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2 10:53 AM
      Susan
      Another place to look for books is the IOLI library. Do a web search on
      "International Old Lacers, Inc." That is the American national lace
      organization. They have a website. They have a lending library which is
      available to members. You pay mailing costs both ways. It is a way of
      reviewing a book before buying it to see if it is suitable for your
      purposes. You can email them about the library;
      Lorelei
    • suztq0791
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2 5:57 PM
        thank you for the advice on the books. i will look into being a
        member at the IOLI. that would help a lot!!

        from susan

        --- In bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com, "Lorelei Halley" <lorelei@m...>
        wrote:
        > Susan
        > Another place to look for books is the IOLI library. Do a web
        search on
        > "International Old Lacers, Inc." That is the American national lace
        > organization. They have a website. They have a lending library
        which is
        > available to members. You pay mailing costs both ways. It is a
        way of
        > reviewing a book before buying it to see if it is suitable for your
        > purposes. You can email them about the library;
        > Lorelei
      • Lorelei Halley
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 28, 2003
          I just want to announce that I'm now selling both of my torchon books on
          eBay (and eBay takes credit cards), as well as through my website.
          http://www.loreleihalley.com

          Just do an eBay search on "torchon bobbin lace" and both books should pop
          up.
          Lorelei Halley
        • Lorelei Halley
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 30, 2004
            Hi
            I just wanted you to know that my bobbin lace books are available on eBay.
            Lorelei Halley
          • ramledfac
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 30, 2008
              Hello all you lacemakers out there. I'd like to meet you all to compare
              notes! and to see the work you have all done. I've reached a standstill
              with my lace.
              Can anyone suggest a good clear book of fillings for Honiton Lace? My
              motif is on the pillow, but I believe I need a lead work filling for
              the centre.Thank-you.
            • Cynce Williams
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 30, 2008
                Bridget M. Cook and Geraldine Stott *The Book of Bobbin Lace Stitches*
                1980 Charles T Branford Co. Pub
                ISBN 0-8231-5057-7

                Unfortunately it's out of print. Maybe you can find somebody who
                still has copies for sale--Allbookstores.com has a bunch pf listings
                http://www.allbookstores.com/

                Cynthia

                On Mar 30, 2008, at 1:33 PM, ramledfac wrote:

                > Hello all you lacemakers out there. I'd like to meet you all to
                > compare
                > notes! and to see the work you have all done. I've reached a
                > standstill
                > with my lace.
                > Can anyone suggest a good clear book of fillings for Honiton Lace? My
                > motif is on the pillow, but I believe I need a lead work filling for
                > the centre.Thank-you.

              • Wendy Davies
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
                  Hi Ramledfac

                  I have only had mine a few months and managed to get it from Amazon,
                  I am always looking through Amazon and Ebay for any Lace books as I
                  find it so difficult to get any in local shops.

                  It is a great book with loads of fillings I think over 200. I
                  haven't been brave enough yet to try any of them but one day.

                  good luck

                  Wendy

                  --- In bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com, Cynce Williams <cyncewilliams@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Bridget M. Cook and Geraldine Stott *The Book of Bobbin Lace
                  Stitches*
                  > 1980 Charles T Branford Co. Pub
                  > ISBN 0-8231-5057-7
                  >
                  > Unfortunately it's out of print. Maybe you can find somebody who
                  > still has copies for sale--Allbookstores.com has a bunch pf
                  listings
                  > http://www.allbookstores.com/
                  >
                  > Cynthia
                  >
                  > On Mar 30, 2008, at 1:33 PM, ramledfac wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hello all you lacemakers out there. I'd like to meet you all to
                  > > compare
                  > > notes! and to see the work you have all done. I've reached a
                  > > standstill
                  > > with my lace.
                  > > Can anyone suggest a good clear book of fillings for Honiton
                  Lace? My
                  > > motif is on the pillow, but I believe I need a lead work filling
                  for
                  > > the centre.Thank-you.

                • Sue Babbs
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
                    Sorry for not replying sooner. "New Designs in Honiton Lace" by Pat Perryman
                    and Cynthia Voysey has 23 fillings in the back - 5 with leadworks. The
                    diagrams are nice and clear

                    Sue

                    >> On Mar 30, 2008, at 1:33 PM, ramledfac wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hello all you lacemakers out there. I'd like to meet you all to
                    > > compare
                    > > notes! and to see the work you have all done. I've reached a
                    > > standstill
                    > > with my lace.
                    > > Can anyone suggest a good clear book of fillings for Honiton
                    Lace? My
                    > > motif is on the pillow, but I believe I need a lead work filling
                    for > > the centre.Thank-you.

                  • Brenda
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 23, 2009
                      Hi, Folks,
                      Pat said: "I learned out of Doris Southard (met her at a Great Lakes Lace
                      Group gathering, and she came to St Louis to teach a class. I also learned
                      out of the Pamela Nottingham books."

                      I just put Pamela Nottingham in the Amazon search box. There are many many
                      books. What would be the best to start with? And what is "Bucks Point
                      Lace", anybody know?

                      Enjoy! Brenda in Onalaska, WA USA
                      saguaro@...
                    • suebabbs@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 24, 2009
                        There is a very new book out (last year, I believe) called "Beginner's Guide to Bobbin Lace" by Gilian Dye and Adrienne Thunder. It has the clearest step-by-step photos.

                        It is available on Amazon.com and you can search inside it on their site, which will enable you to see if you like its approach.

                        I am currently away at Sweet Briar and can't look inside my copy, but I think it covers things like making a pillow and winding bobbins as well as beginning Torchon.

                        Sue Babbs

                      • Cynce Williams
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 24, 2009
                          <grin>

                          Cynthia, not Pat.

                          The first Nottingham we got was *The Complete Book of English Bobbin
                          Lace*. Then there's a paper back that's supposed to be more
                          accessible. IIRC she also did several books on single lace styles:
                          Torchon and Bucks come to mind immediately. IMHO all Nottingham books
                          are of equal difficulty. She assumes her readers are familiar with the
                          idea of lace. If you've worked through Southard or Rosemary Shepherd
                          or the new Dye and Thunder you should be ready to start in on
                          Nottingham.

                          Bucks Point lace, also Buckinghamshire lace, is (ta da) a point ground
                          lace. Others are Chantilly, Lille, Downton, Tönder, Bayeux . . . Point
                          ground is cross and 3 twists. It's my favorite lace to do.

                          Cynthia