For sale: Bobbins and books

  • amandmgorman
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 22, 2013
      Here are my grandmother's lacemaking books and bobbins. I have tried to price them a bit below the going rate on Amazon or Ebay; if you think a price is unreasonable, please feel free to make an offer. Prices include shipping within the US (media mail for books). I also have about 3 dozen patterns pricked into colored cardboard, which I will include free with any order if you'd like them.

      Paypal or money orders, please.

      Thanks!

      Anne-Marie

      72 WOODEN BOBBINS
      I'm pretty sure all the bobbins were bought in 1980-81 in Oxfordshire, England, though I don't know whether they were new or used at the time. I have not found any cracks or chips. I don't know what kind of wood they are made of, but most of them are light in color.
      Lengths vary from 3-3/4" to 4-1/8". Most are closer to 4" long. They are about 1/4" in diameter.
      All except four are spangled with glass beads on wire. Some of the wire seems fragile and may need to be replaced.
      Most are plain, but some are grooved or turned. One is inscribed in a spiral "To Mary Happy Lacemaking Carterton 1980-81."
      $75 for all.

      BOOKS
      Most were bought in 1980-81. All show some yellowing of the edges, but the pages are clean and the bindings are intact and tight.

      The Technique of Bobbin Lace, Pamela Nottingham, 1976. Hardback with dust jacket, dent in upper right corner. $15.

      The Technique of Torchon Lace, Pamela Nottingham, 1979. Hardback with dust jacket. $10.

      A Manual of Hand-made Bobbin Lace Work, Margaret Maidment, 1978 reprint of 1931 edition. Hardback. $20.

      Modern Lace Designs, Veronica Sorenson, 1984. Hardback with dust jacket. $7.

      100 Traditional Bobbin Lace Patterns, Geraldine Stott & Bridget Cook, 1982. Paperback. $12.

      Bobbin Lace: An Illustrated Guide to Traditional and Contemporary Techniques, Brigita Fuhrmann, 1985 Dover republication of 1976 edition. Paperback. $8.

      Pillow Lace Book 4: Torchon Lace Part 2, Margaret Hammer & Kathleen Waller, 1978. Stapled booklet. $4.

      Lacemaking: Point Ground, C. C. Channer, 1972. Stapled booklet. $4.
    • spinweaver623@netzero.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 23, 2013
        I would e interested in the 2 Pamela Nottingham books. Can you hold them till Weds...tommorow? I get check and can pay by pay pal. What would the shipping be? I would love the bobbins too.... But can't afford them......Thanks!Anna

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 23, 2013
          Are the bobbins still available...do you have a photo of them?

          --- In bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com, "amandmgorman" <madonnabuyer@...> wrote:

          > Here are my grandmother's lacemaking books and bobbins. I have tried to price them a bit below the going rate on Amazon or Ebay; if you think a price is unreasonable, please feel free to make an offer. Prices include shipping within the US (media mail for books). I also have about 3 dozen patterns pricked into colored cardboard, which I will include free with any order if you'd like them.
          >
          > Paypal or money orders, please.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Anne-Marie
          >

          > 72 WOODEN BOBBINS
          > I'm pretty sure all the bobbins were bought in 1980-81 in Oxfordshire, England, though I don't know whether they were new or used at the time. I have not found any cracks or chips. I don't know what kind of wood they are made of, but most of them are light in color.
          > Lengths vary from 3-3/4" to 4-1/8". Most are closer to 4" long. They are about 1/4" in diameter.
          > All except four are spangled with glass beads on wire. Some of the wire seems fragile and may need to be replaced.
          > Most are plain, but some are grooved or turned. One is inscribed in a spiral "To Mary Happy Lacemaking Carterton 1980-81."
          > $75 for all.
          >
          > BOOKS
          > Most were bought in 1980-81. All show some yellowing of the edges, but the pages are clean and the bindings are intact and tight.
          >
          > The Technique of Bobbin Lace, Pamela Nottingham, 1976. Hardback with dust jacket, dent in upper right corner. $15.
          >
          > The Technique of Torchon Lace, Pamela Nottingham, 1979. Hardback with dust jacket. $10.
          >
          > A Manual of Hand-made Bobbin Lace Work, Margaret Maidment, 1978 reprint of 1931 edition. Hardback. $20.
          >
          > Modern Lace Designs, Veronica Sorenson, 1984. Hardback with dust jacket. $7.
          >
          > 100 Traditional Bobbin Lace Patterns, Geraldine Stott & Bridget Cook, 1982. Paperback. $12.
          >
          > Bobbin Lace: An Illustrated Guide to Traditional and Contemporary Techniques, Brigita Fuhrmann, 1985 Dover republication of 1976 edition. Paperback. $8.
          >
          > Pillow Lace Book 4: Torchon Lace Part 2, Margaret Hammer & Kathleen Waller, 1978. Stapled booklet. $4.
          >
          > Lacemaking: Point Ground, C. C. Channer, 1972. Stapled booklet. $4.

        • A
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 24, 2013
            Do you have the bobbins still? And the Geraldine Stott book? I'm interested in them.
            Tks,
            A. Serrano

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 24, 2013
              Two books and the bobbins are still available. I have uploaded pictures of the bobbins to an album called "Bobbins for sale."

              Anne-Marie

              --- In bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com, "amandmgorman" <madonnabuyer@...> wrote:

              > 72 WOODEN BOBBINS
              > I'm pretty sure all the bobbins were bought in 1980-81 in Oxfordshire, England, though I don't know whether they were new or used at the time. I have not found any cracks or chips. I don't know what kind of wood they are made of, but most of them are light in color.
              > Lengths vary from 3-3/4" to 4-1/8". Most are closer to 4" long. They are about 1/4" in diameter.
              > All except four are spangled with glass beads on wire. Some of the wire seems fragile and may need to be replaced.
              > Most are plain, but some are grooved or turned. One is inscribed in a spiral "To Mary Happy Lacemaking Carterton 1980-81."
              > $75 for all.
              >
              > BOOKS
              > Most were bought in 1980-81. All show some yellowing of the edges, but the pages are clean and the bindings are intact and tight.
              >
              > A Manual of Hand-made Bobbin Lace Work, Margaret Maidment, 1978 reprint of 1931 edition. Hardback. $20.
              >
              > Modern Lace Designs, Veronica Sorenson, 1984. Hardback with dust jacket. $7.

            • Kanella Diakoumis
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 24, 2013
                do you know what the shipping charges are? to chicago

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 25, 2013
                  USPS shipping within the US is included in the price.
                  Anne-Marie