Re: [bobbinlace] Glass bobbins slip on leash - advice?

  • Gillian Jewell
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 22, 2013
      First slit the straw lengthwise, then snip it to the length of the bobbin's
      thread area. Roll it in your fingers to tighten the curl and pop it on
      over the thread.

      Tie your half hitch as usual first. If the hitch tends to get buried, try
      using double-headed bobbins. On single head bobbins I have even slid my
      wound thread down the bobbin 1/8 of an inch or so and tied the half hitch
      in the gap the top of the bobbin.

      I use the straws when I use metallic threads because they tend to spring
      outward and untie the half hitch. I like Jack in the Box straws because
      they are a larger diameter for my Elizabethan lace metallic work; you may
      need a smaller diameter.

      Alternatively, have you tried using the hitch that's used for double headed
      bobbins? As you make the hitch you wrap the thread around the head one
      extra time before letting go.

      Good luck,
      --Gillian

      On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Brenda Mann <professionalmom1@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Gillian, Sorry, could you explain more? How do you use a straw? I'll
      > have to substitute a different straw, because we don't have a Jack in the
      > Box! Thanks!!Brenda in Minnesota

      Gillian Jewell

    • Kathy
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 24, 2013
        I'll have to try that! Thanks for the tip. KathyAnn

        Good luck,
        --Gillian

        On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Brenda Mann <professionalmom1@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Gillian, Sorry, could you explain more? How do you use a straw? I'll
        > have to substitute a different straw, because we don't have a Jack in the
        > Box! Thanks!!Brenda in Minnesota

        Gillian Jewell