how to determine how much thread to wind

  • Christina
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4 8:55 AM
      How do I figure/guess how much thread to wind on each bobbin, when it is not stated in the directios? I am getting ready to work the second simple bookmark from Pam Robinson's Manual of Bedfordshire Lace - it is picots and one 4-leaf group. I wound far too much for the first exercise.

      Somewhere I remember hearing/reading 3 times the length - is that for each bobbin or to be split on a bobbin pair?

      Thank you,
      Chris
    • Lorelei Halley
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4 3:34 PM
        Chris
        3 times the length per bobbin sounds about right. And usually they say the weaver should have 7 times the length (if you can figure out which ones will be weavers).
        Lorelei

      • julie
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6 12:08 AM
          I've always used 4 times the length of the lace with no problems, but as has been said already, if you have tallies, or a worker doing a trail, those bobbins will need more, BUT you can give a pair an extra twist and use the other one if you are running out.

          Another tip is to wind half your bobbins fully (assuming you are using the same size thread for a number of pieces), and when you start a new pattern, just wind off 3-4 times the length of thread onto an empty bobbin. Thats good when you are doing a lot of small articles or samples.

          good luck, if you are a scientist like me, you could measure the length wound on your bobbins, then when you finish, measure whats left and see how much you used. I keep a lace diary for these sorts of things.

          regards
          Julie in Australia