Re: [bobbinlace] Re: Introducing new member, Barbara

  • Marji Sakievich
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2011
      I have made two of these wool cookie pillows small and large and love them.

      Marji.

      Sent from my iPad

    • Barbara Hevener
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2011
        Thanks TO ALL of you who have taken your time to give me some great tips and
        encouragement!

        MARK, thanks so much for all the time and effort you have put into your
        website. It is so very much appreciated!! I have often used the tatting
        information on your website and now I have started to use the bobbin lace
        info there as well. You're a real treasure! I did thumbtack a layer of
        felt plus a layer of woven cotton over my Lacis board, but I'm sure that I
        will eventually want to make or buy a real pillow as you suggest. Although
        as a beginner I have no point of comparison, the Lacis kit's bobbins seem to
        be working pretty much OK for me with Size 8 perle cotton (only
        ever-so-occasionally unwinding themselves when I don't want them to), but I
        can see that they would probably be too heavy (as someone else noted) for
        finer thread. Maybe when I want to move away from this big thread I'll try
        cutting a half-inch to an inch or so off the handles of these bobbins to
        lighten them a little and see if that works. (I hate to throw anything
        away!)

        LESLEY, thanks for the additional tip. I have already taken up the
        "cross-twist-cross" cloth stitch chant! Perhaps it's my lifelong
        involvement with music that makes focusing on the rhythm a completely
        natural part of performing any repetitive motion.

        KATELYN, thanks so much for the suggestion of the Pamela Nottingham book as
        a "Beginner Book #2"--although it will be quite some time before I work
        through the "Book #1" that I have given all the other things I'm involved
        in. I've written down the title and author so I'll have it when I get to
        that point.

        Thanks ANITA in Maryland for your suggestion of contacting the North
        Carolina Regional Lace Guild to see if they know of any bobbin lacers living
        nearby. I probably will follow through on that at some point. You are so
        right that one can learn a ton of things from personal contact with anyone
        more experienced. I certainly am indebted to all the experienced tatters
        I've met who have helped me in so many ways!

        SHERRY, unfortunately, I won't see you in Georgia this time since I don't
        feel that I can manage a half week away from piano practice this time of
        year. Nevertheless, I've been working with the Tat Days committee helping
        with preparations for the event. Maybe I'll see you at another Palmetto
        event when the timing, etc., works out better for me. I know you're going
        to have a great time there!

        Barbara