    Dec 6, 2013
      Hi Sherry!  I think most of us call them tallies or wheat ears or petals.  Never heard anyone call them clunies, but then again, Cluny lace has a lot of them.  I still need to master them, and I know what you mean by making holly leaves!  Maybe I should just go with the holly leaves and make a Christmas lace!
      Brenda in Minnesota

      On Thursday, December 5, 2013 2:57 PM, Celtic Dream Weaver <celticdreamweave@...> wrote:

      Midlands with their spangles can be a pain when doing lots of clunies too.I do my clunies in the air and not on the pillow. Ann Keller suggested  I do that when I couldn't make them on the pillow without them looking like holly clunies.
         I do not have any problems with the rounded turns in the middle of the bobbins. Sometime I will put a picture up on my blog and show you my square bobbins in action.
      Wind To Thy Wings,
      Sherry
      New York, US of America
      Nata 616

      From: "elisa.eiger@..." <elisa.eiger@...>
      To: bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, December 5, 2013 2:08 PM
      Subject: [bobbinlace] RE: Square bobbins

      I have "international square Model 2" and "large square" bobbins (the names on Holly van Sciver's website: http://www.vansciverbobbinlace.com/3Bob_C.html).  What I've noticed is 1) square bobbins certainly CAN roll and 2) the pretty, bumpy turnings on the large square bobbins become less attractive when you're doing lots of sewings :-) (I was doing a Russian braid lace pattern where I basically had a sewing every 12 stitches).

      Midlands-style bobbins don't roll--the spangles prevent that.  But larger/more elaborate spangles are not easy to deal with when doing sewings.

      Flat bobbins sound like an interesting concept, but I'm wondering how they would work in practice.  If you wind bobbins by hand, you usually roll the bobbin in your fingers (wrapping the thread around the neck of a stationary bobbin seems to add (or subtract) more twist from the thread than turning the bobbin either by hand or with a bobbin winder).  It wouldn't be comfortable to try to roll something with corners in your fingers, and the kind of winders I'm familiar with wouldn't hold a flat object. Flat objects also tend to be a little harder to pick up (think of picking up a key or coin vs. a pen or lace bobbin).

      The lacemakers in my area (northern New Jersey, USA) tend to use continental bobbins, and I've noticed that the more-experienced people seem to pick up and hold the bobbins, rolling them between their fingers to make some stitches, and apparently tensioning by pulling against the widened ends of the bobbins.  This kind of manipulation might not be possible with flat bobbins.

      --Elisa

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic