      Subject: RE: [bobbinlace] RE: Square bobbins
      To: "bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com" <bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Friday, December 6, 2013, 5:46 AM

      Hello,

      As a flemish lace maker , I cannot understand how one can
      work with square bobbins.   Nata 616 has a
      point.
      we never use square bobbins . When using a gimp we
      might consider it because it is feels different,
      when working faster. But is not the right way to work.

      A flat cushion is in fact also not for classic work as the
      bobbins lay and do not hang. The bobbins need slicht
       tension while rollling so one does not have to pull
      too much ..
      A flat cushion is sometimes used  and can be
      handy  for contemporary work or to have one in
      reserve..

      I once saw a German girl with a whole pillow of square
      bobbins..  She did actually manage to work  with
      them  and her work was nicely done.  She did use
      thick thread and pulles a lot.. but she was  also
      slow as she had to  pick up every time the bobbins
      and pulling for the right tension. ..  That is not
      exactly the way to make bobbinlace here.
      Then I say .. better that then no lace at all !

      Working with spangles is not easy and certainly not for
      clunies because one  then adapts a non regular way of
      working.
      Midlands spangles are in fact not made to use for
      clunies..

      Here when square bobbins arrived on the market we bought
      them for collections. I never see them in use on a
      pillow except a few years ago by that one German girl.

      I say .. if you feel good using square bobbins .. just
      use them.

      Helen

      To:
      bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com
      From: celticdreamweave@...
      Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 12:57:28 -0800

      Midlands with their spangles can be a pain
      when doing lots of clunies too.I do my clunies in the air
      and not on the pillow. Ann Keller suggested  I do that
      when I couldn't make them on the pillow without them
      looking like holly clunies.

         I do not have any problems with the
      rounded turns in the middle of the bobbins. Sometime I
      will put a picture up on my blog and show you my square
      bobbins in action.
      Wind To Thy Wings,
      Sherry
      New York, US of America