Second-hand book bargain news

  • Gavin Atkin
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
      Folks:

      I'm quite pleased. For a few quid, I have today acquired a copy of the
      Lloyds' Rules and Regulations for the Construction and Classification of
      Wood and Composite Yachts, an 1959 copy of Michael Verney's Complete Amateru
      Boatbuilding, and a 1947 copy of Boat Building Simplified (NOT the same
      Simplifed Boat Building, naturally) by Herbert J Aschcroft and published by
      none other than Captain O M Watts Ltd.

      Boat Building Simplified is essentially a set of plans and instructions for
      building a 10ft general purpose cold-moulded dinghy by the Ashcroft method.

      All very jolly, I'd say.

      Gav
    • Larry Adelberg
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
        Yeah, but how much is a few quid?? ;-)

        At 07:07 PM 12/1/2001 +0000, you wrote:
        >Folks:
        >
        >I'm quite pleased. For a few quid, I have today acquired a copy of the
      • mike goodwin
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
          How many quid to buy some squid ?

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
              I just pick up a copy of " Ameica's INLAND WATERWAY ,Exploring the Atlantic
              Seaboard" for $1.50 , how many quid is that or is it even a quid at all ? Ain't
              a quid and a pound the same thang ?

              Mike ;>)

              Gavin Atkin wrote:

              > Folks:
              >
              > I'm quite pleased. For a few quid, I have today acquired a copy of the
              > Lloyds' Rules and Regulations for the Construction and Classification of
              > Wood and Composite Yachts, an 1959 copy of Michael Verney's Complete Amateru
              > Boatbuilding, and a 1947 copy of Boat Building Simplified (NOT the same
              > Simplifed Boat Building, naturally) by Herbert J Aschcroft and published by
              > none other than Captain O M Watts Ltd.
              >
              > Boat Building Simplified is essentially a set of plans and instructions for
              > building a 10ft general purpose cold-moulded dinghy by the Ashcroft method.
              >
              > All very jolly, I'd say.
              >
              > Gav

            • Gavin Atkin
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
                >I just pick up a copy of " Ameica's INLAND WATERWAY ,Exploring the Atlantic
                Seaboard" for $1.50 , how many quid is that or is it even a quid at all ?
                Ain't
                a quid and a pound the same thang ?

                Very nice, for a quid. But no dice on the squid - they're much to exotic for
                most shops in the UK...
                Gav

              • Lew Clayman
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
                  Just fyi, a quid is about a buck-fifty these days.

                  Anyone know the slang for "Euro"???

                  --- mike goodwin <panmanii@...> wrote:
                  > I just pick up a copy of " Ameica's INLAND WATERWAY ,Exploring the Atlantic
                  > Seaboard" for $1.50 , how many quid is that or is it even a quid at all ?
                  > Ain't
                  > a quid and a pound the same thang ?
                  >
                  > Mike ;>)
                  >

                  > Gavin Atkin wrote:
                  >
                  > > Folks:
                  > >
                  > > I'm quite pleased. For a few quid, I have today acquired a copy of the
                  > > Lloyds' Rules and Regulations for the Construction and Classification of
                  > > Wood and Composite Yachts, an 1959 copy of Michael Verney's Complete
                  > Amateru
                  > > Boatbuilding, and a 1947 copy of Boat Building Simplified (NOT the same
                  > > Simplifed Boat Building, naturally) by Herbert J Aschcroft and published by
                  > > none other than Captain O M Watts Ltd.
                  > >
                  > > Boat Building Simplified is essentially a set of plans and instructions for
                  > > building a 10ft general purpose cold-moulded dinghy by the Ashcroft method.
                  > >
                  > > All very jolly, I'd say.
                  > >
                  > > Gav

                  =====
                  "It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future."
                  - Yogi Berra
                  =====

                  http://shopping.yahoo.com
                • Gavin Atkin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 1, 2001
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 2, 2001
                      How many quid to buy some squid on a skid, asked the
                      drunken sailor?

                      --- mike goodwin <panmanii@...> wrote:
                      > How many quid to buy some squid ?
                      >

                      > Larry Adelberg wrote:
                      >
                      > > Yeah, but how much is a few quid?? ;-)
                      > >
                      > > At 07:07 PM 12/1/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                      > > >Folks:
                      > > >
                      > > >I'm quite pleased. For a few quid, I have today
                      > acquired a copy of the
                      > >

                      > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      http://shopping.yahoo.com
                    • mike goodwin
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 2, 2001
                        Gavin Atkin wrote:

                        Very nice, for a quid. But no dice on the squid - they're much to exotic for

                        > most shops in the UK...
                        > Gav

                        Squid is so cheap around here we use it for bait . I never ate it until I was 20
                        years old and became acquainted with some Italian folks in college .

                        Mike
                      • Gavin Atkin
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 2, 2001
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 2, 2001
                            I recently picked up a copy of "Building Classic Small Craft, Volume 1" by John Gardner, for 5 cents at a church rummage sale.

                            Mike

                          • Chuck Leinweber
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 2, 2001
                              We use squid for bait here is coona** country too, Mike. We like to eat Brussels Sprouts, though, Gav. - Chuck