Re: updated homepage

  • gmatkin
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 1999
      I had the same problem for a moment or two, but it's not impossible to sort
      it out. The problem is that Frank's email editor turned the lines. I think
      the links should be:

      http://sites.netscape.net/fankellinghaus/pages_English/boatbuilding/Accessor
      ies.htm

      and

      http://sites.netscape.net/frnkellinghaus/pages_English/boatbuilding/oarsmore
      about.html

      Gavin

      PS - Good work, Frank.

      Boat design pages http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/design.htm
      Home page and link to the band Florida
      http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/homepage.htm
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 1999
        Odd old world, isn't it? First Chuck's lovingly prepared pages disappear,
        and now Frank's links get mangled in odd ways. Interestingly, they didn't
        get mangled when they came back to me in your reply Lew.

        I do hope Chuck's issue is as easily fixed.

        Gavin
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 3, 1999
          Hello,

          are you all boating out there? :-)
          It is so calm here.

          I have made some updates to my website.
          It�s the Accessorie-Page at
          http://sites.netscape.net/frankellinghaus/pages_English/boatbuilding/Accesso
          ries.htm

          and a new page about oars at
          http://sites.netscape.net/frankellinghaus/pages_English/boatbuilding/oarsmor
          eabout.html

          In case you find some more interesting articles about oars or about
          attaching oars to the boat I would appreciate a hint.

          What do you think about my square mast in the Accessorie page?
          Do you have/had a mast this kind?

          If you find some bugs in the page let me know.

          Thanks

          Frank
        • kandlew
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 3, 1999
            > What do you think about my square mast in the Accessorie page?
            > Do you have/had a mast this kind?

            I like it, it has many advantages - first and foremost ease of
            manufacture.

            I have one on the Brick, four straight cuts with a circular saw
            is about all there is to it - ok, the bottom is tapered (4 more
            cuts) and I rounded the corners, but still....

            It's rigged with a sprit boom, per plans. Also per plans, the
            mast is fixed (does not rotate). The boom is suspended from a
            snotter at the forward end, and turns freely although obviously
            there is different friction at different angles (points of
            sail).

            The sail is laced onto the mast, with lines tied through
            grommets along the luff. Simple, no holes which weaken the mast
            & might admit moisture (rot). A little ugly, but still the
            prettiest part of the Brick (context is everything).

            I have had no big issues with all this, although a larger rig
            might require rounding as the pressure on the corners at certain
            points of sail might be too much. BTW, the sail is designed as
            63 sq. ft (~6 m^2) but mine is probably a little smaller.

            -Lew
          • Bryant Owen
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 3, 1999

              Frank Ellinghaus wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > are you all boating out there? :-)
              > It is so calm here.
              >
              > I have made some updates to my website.
              > It�s the Accessorie-Page at
              > http://sites.netscape.net/f
              > ankellinghaus/pages_English/boatbuilding/Accesso
              > ries.htm
              >
              > and a new page about oars at
              > http://sites.netscape.net/fr
              > nkellinghaus/pages_English/boatbuilding/oarsmor
              > eabout.html
              >
              > In case you find some more interesting articles about oars or about
              > attaching oars to the boat I would appreciate a hint.
              >
              > What do you think about my square mast in the Accessorie page?
              > Do you have/had a mast this kind?
              >
              > If you find some bugs in the page let me know.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Frank

              > ----------------------------

              > -----------------
            • Bryant Owen
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 3, 1999
                Thanks for the suggestion, Gav. But I tried it and still no-go.

                Tried pushing right to Frank's site by using
                http://sites.netscape.net/frankellinghaus/pages. Got one of those "Page
                Not Found
                We are unable to find this page. Please check the web address (URL) and
                try again." messages.

                Maybe it's some Canada vs US thing.

                Bryant

              • Frank Ellinghaus
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 3, 1999
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 3, 1999
                    > > What do you think about my square mast in the Accessorie page?
                    > > Do you have/had a mast this kind?
                    >
                    > I like it, it has many advantages - first and foremost ease of
                    > manufacture.

                    So I�m not alone :-) .

                    > I have had no big issues with all this, although a larger rig
                    > might require rounding as the pressure on the corners at certain
                    > points of sail might be too much. BTW, the sail is designed as
                    > 63 sq. ft (~6 m^2) but mine is probably a little smaller.

                    Isn�t this pretty large for such a small boat?
                    My sail has only 57 sq. ft. and I didn�t think of a much larger next sail.

                    Frank
                  • kandlew
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 3, 1999

                      gmatkin wrote:

                      > From: "gmatkin" <gmatkin@...>
                      >
                      > I had the same problem for a moment or two, but it's not impossible to sort
                      > it out. The problem is that Frank's email editor turned the lines. I think
                      > the links should be:
                      >
                      > http://sites.netscape.net/fankellinghaus/pages_English/boatbuilding/Accessor
                      > ies.htm
                      >
                      > and
                      >
                      > http://sites.netscape.net/frnkellinghaus/pages_English/boatbuilding/oarsmore
                      > about.html
                      >
                      > Gavin
                      >
                      > PS - Good work, Frank.
                      >
                      > Boat design pages http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/design.htm
                      > Home page and link to the band Florida
                      > http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/homepage.htm

                    • kandlew
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 3, 1999
                        > > I have had no big issues with all this, although a larger rig
                        > > might require rounding as the pressure on the corners at certain
                        > > points of sail might be too much. BTW, the sail is designed as
                        > > 63 sq. ft (~6 m^2) but mine is probably a little smaller.
                        >
                        > Isn�t this pretty large for such a small boat?
                        > My sail has only 57 sq. ft. and I didn�t think of a much larger next sail.

                        You have to remember, your boat is pointy at the front. A Brick
                        needs the extra power just to sail out of it's own way. On a
                        windy day the bow wave attracts surfers. In a no-wake area I
                        have to strike the sail and run under a bare pole. Well maybe
                        I'm exaggerating but still I've considered a gaff or a jib but
                        that might harm it's delicate balance <seg>.
                      • Bryant Owen
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 3, 1999
                          Thanks, Frank. That address works great!! Will make a note of it!
                          Frank Ellinghaus wrote:

                          > From: "Frank Ellinghaus" <ellingh@...>

                        • Bryant Owen
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 3, 1999
                            Frank

                            Had a look at your site (finally!). Nice work.

                            As for the square mast, my first sailboat had one with a simple metal
                            track for the sail. I was too young and inexperienced to note how well
                            or badly it handled as far as the mast goes but, thinking back, it
                            seemed to work just fine. I'm thinking that, except for the racers out
                            there (like some in my Mirror class), a square mast might be a better
                            answer. It's easier to make, looks good and I doubt that the performance
                            is compromised that much. My only question would be: would it be as
                            strong as a round or oval mast under the differing stress loads of
                            different winds, points of sail, etc? Suspect it's a moot point.

                            Since I'm planning on a lug rig on my next project, suspect I should
                            keep to a round mast. Any comments out there? Either on the round/square
                            mast question or the lug vs spritsail rig for a flat bottomed hull with
                            leeboards?

                            Frank Ellinghaus wrote:

                            > From: "Frank Ellinghaus" <ellingh@...>

                          • gmatkin
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 4, 1999
                              looks cool so far

                              Boat design pages http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/design.htm
                              Home page and link to the band Florida
                              http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/homepage.htm
                              >> Odd old world, isn't it? First Chuck's lovingly prepared pages disappear,
                              >> and now Frank's links get mangled in odd ways. Interestingly, they didn't
                              >> get mangled when they came back to me in your reply Lew.
                              >
                              >So probably my Outlook Express cuts the URL�s. When I look at the settings
                              of html.mail sending
                              >format, I now find 76 characters greyed out.
                              >But this can happen with the recipient newsreaders also, I guess, both
                              mail-programs shouldn�t cut.

                              >I have tried to set the cutting in Outlook Express under
                              Tools/Options/Send/Mail sending Format =
                              >html. on 100 characters now. This seems only to be possible, if "encoding
                              text using" is set on
                              >"none" otherwise the old setting stays greyed out.
                              >
                              >I try to send such a long URL again now:
                              >http://sites.netscape.net/frankellinghaus/pages_English/boatbuilding/oarsmo
                              reabout.html

                              >If the URL isn�t cut for me, when I get this post back from onelist.com,
                              and it is cut on your
                              >news-/ mailreader, it is not my setting which is to blame.
                              >
                              >I�ll let you know if it comes back unchanged.
                              >
                              >Frank

                            • Frank Ellinghaus
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 4, 1999

                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 4, 1999
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 4, 1999
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 4, 1999
                                      Frank,

                                      Lots of boat have " square " masts , been seeing them for years on boats to
                                      20 feet and even larger , the edges are just treated with a round over
                                      router bit . The differances in speed affected by mast shape are nearly
                                      imperceptable ( maybe 1/10 of a knot ) I've seen boats with large round pole
                                      masts beat boats with tapered and shaped masts . Good sails on a bad mast
                                      versus bad sails on a good mast , who is going to win ? Depends on who is
                                      the better sailor and little more .
                                      I used to race with a fellow who always placed in the top 3 with and old
                                      boat and old sails , much to the embarassment of the dedicated racers with
                                      new sails every year .
                                      A really smooth and fair bottom will do a lot more to affect boatspeed than
                                      mast shape. IMHO

                                      Mike