Fw: water balast?

  • Jeff Gilbert
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 1997
      nb Chuck & Gav

      David Beede said>
      .>Anyone experimented with water balast in small boats? I'm considering it
      >because my featherwind seems to love to be loaded (3 adults and 3 dogs
      >so far) I've read all of JIm Michilak's info on them. Just wondering.

      David,
      This will really interest you.
      A chappie is building a 33' x 8' x 3'8" blue water trailer sailer, "Bits and
      Pieces", with water ballast only, using ply/epoxy.
      But he has already built & sucessfully tested a half scale model. Thorough
      or what!. He has a great site on it , 30 odd A4 pages:
      http://www.thegrid.net/uwbsailboat/Introd.HTM
      Drawing: (the wt looks high, but thats all the water). Only prob is ballast
      restricts the headroom as it takes up the entire below-chine space.(personal
      opinion) You could put a dry well in for an area of standing room, say
      Galley.
      http://www.thegrid.net/uwbsailboat/Plan.GIF