Re: Launch time

  • gmatkin
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7, 1999
      Oh, I'm still alive, but still very, very busy. Partly social (!), partly the new house still.

      It's nice to hear from you and Mike - and I look forward to the pictures.

      I'm off for a little sail training down in gorgeous South Devon next week. Bet they make me practice capsizing.

      I know what you mean about kids painting, Mike - my three and five-year old just love daubing my walls.

      My two-sheet skiff is half built but has been in abeyance for a week or two, and I've no idea when I'll get back to it. The electricians are supposed to arrive to rewire the house while I'm away...

      Cheers, Gav

      Boat design pages http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/design.htm
      Home page and link to the band Florida http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/homepage.htm
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 7, 1999
        Chuck and co:

        >Does "partly social" involve individuals of the female species? OK, its none of my business forget I asked.

        We're doing fine on that front. What a change from having to hide in the attic to stay out of trouble.

        >Sounds like that house is going to be a big project; both time-wise, and money-wise. Lotsa luck.

        Thanks. It's mainly time and patience. Sand, cement, house paint and digging don't cost much but you have to maintain the enthusiasm.

        >Sail training? That sounds like way too much fun for an editor.

        I'm the humorous, encouraging kind of editor. Not the local paper sleeve-garters, green-visor, shouting at everyone kind. Local papers really are nasty places and I wouldn't last five minutes in one. Nah... I'm far better off editing articles about how to treat persistently sore vaginas. It also provides me with a fantastic storehouse of useless information. Did you know that we all have erectile tissue up our noses? And that when we're aroused it becomes tumescent, making us - some of us at least - sneeze at the wrong moment?

        Well, it makes me laugh!

        Don't you have to have a license, or some kind of royal permission or something? Maybe you just bribed someone. Anyway, while you are practicing capsizing, think about us yanks sweltering the heat.

        I reckon we'll be shivering in the cold of the English channel. But it'll be ever so good for us.

        I'll be staying on a dormitory ship parked in the river - and I gather they have some great parties. So I'd better take my fiddle.

        Btw, Gav, I finished with your cheap boat plans page. Thanks for holding it for me.

        A pleasure.

        The Indexing goes on.

        It will have to - it must be like painting the Goethals Bridge. We'd say like the Forth Bridge, but I doubt you know it very well.

        Sometimes I think I'm spinning my wheels. Last night I accidentally discovered that Databoat had added some designs since I indexed their site, so I had to go back to each of their designs and check to see if I had it or not. There were several new ones, including some by Iain Oughtred. Way nice boats.

        Everything that man draws is just gorgeous. Every time. And they have a reputation for working extremely well. What we don't have is a Bolger.

        A guy just sent me some stuff about a Bolger Bobcat that he built. Got to organize that into an article for DM.

        I don't know that one that I can remember. I look forward to reading about it. Going through your index is my favourite workday pirate activity.

        BTW, I've got sheets and sheets of hand written notes about building my two-sheet skiff, and quite a number of photos. When it's finished, whenever that is, I won't let you down.

        Gav
      • MIKE GOODWIN

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8, 1999
              Congratulations Mike!! Can't wait to see the jpegs!
              djb

              --

              Simplicity Boats (mirror sites - if one doesn't work...)
              http://members.tripod.com/simplicityboats/
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 8, 1999
                Gavin:

                Does "partly social" involve individuals of the female species? OK, its none of my business forget I asked. Sounds like that house is going to be a big project; both time-wise, and money-wise. Lotsa luck.

                Sail training? That sounds like way too much fun for an editor. Don't you have to have a license, or some kind of royal permission or something? Maybe you just bribed someone. Anyway, while you are practicing capsizing, think about us yanks sweltering the heat.

                Btw, Gav, I finished with your cheap boat plans page. Thanks for holding it for me. The Indexing goes on. Sometimes I think I'm spinning my wheels. Last night I accidentally discovered that Databoat had added some designs since I indexed their site, so I had to go back to each of their designs and check to see if I had it or not. There were several new ones, including some by Iain Oughtred. Way nice boats.

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 10, 1999
                  Hey Gav!

                  gmatkin wrote:

                  > My two-sheet skiff is half built but has been in abeyance for a week
                  > or two, and I've no idea when I'll get back to it. The electricians
                  > are supposed to arrive to rewire the house while I'm away... Cheers,
                  > Gav
                  >
                  > --

                  Great to hear you 2sheet is coming along! I have a 12 year old buddy I'm
                  about to build the prototypes for my boat camp project with. He's at
                  that "faster is better" age so I think he might gravitate to your 2
                  sheeter. Let me know it goes.
                  Happy saw dust!
                  David