Re: [boatdesign] Bolger Brick inspired boat Teardrop

  • Zoran Pualich
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29, 2013
      Hi Chief - not good only in boats but in words, too!
      <brick boat and thinking out of box>

      Bob - great small boat, very cute and seems to me practical - for what you want of it. Nice design and work.

      As I was interested in tear-drop  trailing campers and small cabin boats for many years, your realisation is interesting for me. Probably that I should forget on tear-drop camping trailer, but one small camping boat in that style is still possible. Just to finish my punt-boat and test it (testing me and my wife too), I will consider something similar (collected a lot of photos, made too many sketches - just to start to build)...

      Happy sailing!

      Ciao, Zoran.

      P.S.: Is that planing hull - as I can see it? (flat bottom from middle to the end)...

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 29, 2013
        Hey Zoran. How are you my beloved brother. Glad to see you on line..
        Yes a nice camp boat may be great. NOW I am thinking outside the box.
        smile.. Actually I was gifted an old 16 foot fiberglass boat hull. I
        am considering making it into a swim, fishing, maybe over night boat.
        Be well, Chief..

        On 8/29/13, Zoran Pualich <motoklas@...> wrote:
        > Hi Chief - not good only in boats but in words, too!
        > <brick boat and thinking out of box>
        >

        > Bob - great small boat, very cute and seems to me practical - for what you
        > want of it. Nice design and work.
        >
        > As I was interested in tear-drop  trailing campers and small cabin boats for
        > many years, your realisation is interesting for me. Probably that I should
        > forget on tear-drop camping trailer, but one small camping boat in that
        > style is still possible. Just to finish my punt-boat and test it (testing me
        > and my wife too), I will consider something similar (collected a lot of
        > photos, made too many sketches - just to start to build)...
        >
        > Happy sailing!
        >
        > Ciao, Zoran.
        >
        > P.S.: Is that planing hull - as I can see it? (flat bottom from middle to
        > the end)...
        >

        > ________________________________

      • ra_sachs
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2013
          Chief,

          The boat is 8ft long, 4ft wide and 4ft tall. I took Bolgers dimensions and just copied them for the top. Pretty straight forward and the results, I thought, turned out pretty good too. I used epoxy inside and out on top of home depot bc grade plywood with 2 part paint. Thanks for your thoughts. Bob.

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2013
            I built a small camper that is exactly those dimensions..It's perfect
            for one man. My camper would have floated IF I had not put windows in
            it and a door on the side..i built it exactly like I would build a
            boat except it don't look like a boat and yours does. I did however
            draw up a boat camper years ago.. IF I had a boat with those
            dimensions I would ballast the bottom due to windage..I felt mine
            would float better on it's side. BUT who knows. I do not intend to get
            mine in the lake. Smile. You did a great job. MY ONLY regret is I did
            not make my camper 5 feet wide and 10 feet long. I tried to sleep in
            it with a lady and well I don't like to be "that' close..I have an
            electric heater in one end of mine and just a couple more feet longer
            would have made that better too.. I May build another one some day,
            then again I may not BUT IF I Do. I will know how to make it a bit
            better. Have a great day, Chief..