Re: [boatdesign] Re: The search for a practical folding boat goes on, and on, and on, and on...

  • Byron
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 18 9:10 AM
      I couldn't find any pics of it folded, or showing how it folds...
      Byron

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18 9:24 AM
        You remove the two frames and the boat collapses vertically, then you fold it lengthwise along the canvas centerline portion.  The folded boat ends up as a flat package, full length by about 1/2 beam by about 4 times the plywood thickness.

        I couldn't find any pics of it folded, or showing how it folds...
        Byron

        I looked up Duckchaser, and it looks pretty clever to me.

        --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, Don Nicholson <maintann@...> wrote:

        > On 16/07/2013 3:31 AM, Peter wrote:
        > >

        > > http://tinyurl.com/pc4bjds
        > >

        > Thanks but I'll stick with my Duckchasers ,only 11 kg & I can carry 10
        > of them on a car roof rack
        > Don

      • Don Nicholson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 18 3:08 PM
          On 19/07/2013 2:24 AM, Samantha Roberts wrote:

          You remove the two frames and the boat collapses vertically, then you fold it lengthwise along the canvas centerline portion.  The folded boat ends up as a flat package, full length by about 1/2 beam by about 4 times the plywood thickness.

          I couldn't find any pics of it folded, or showing how it folds...
          Byron

          I looked up Duckchaser, and it looks pretty clever to me.

          --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, Don Nicholson <maintann@...> wrote:

          > On 16/07/2013 3:31 AM, Peter wrote:
          > >

          > > http://tinyurl.com/pc4bjds
          > >

          > Thanks but I'll stick with my Duckchasers ,only 11 kg & I can carry 10
          > of them on a car roof rack
          > Don

          Doesn't fold quite that flat due to the curvature set in it by the runners. I'll post some photos of one being folded up. They end up about 8' x 13" x 6" tapering to 1". Bulkheads, floor ,seat  pack inside. All up weight about 24lb.
          (that's 2400 x 325 x 150 to 25,  weighing 11 kg.)  The original ones were built to be tenders for a Jarcat J6 & are carried in one of the quarter berths. Most of the rest have been built as projects by 14 -18 year old Venturer Scouts
          Don
        • Mark Albanese
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 19 1:28 AM
            This shows real diversity in folding boats. I especially admire the high quality aluminum Instaboat, but a trend seems to be toward plastic.
            http://pinterest.com/sermtanakul/folding-boat/

            I looked also for a big daysailer seen long ago but could not find it. Otherwise this is pretty slick.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58rrwE3myqw