Re: Budget build. Summer Breeze or ...?

  • Peter Evans
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2013
      part 2 primarily sailing,,, i see that now

      i would definately go with summer breeze
      Hannus boat has too much flare to be a good sailing boat. Freeboard I think is a bit overated. Yes its good to have, but for 99 percent of the time a bit less gives superior sailing and rowing performance. Just look at a Laser dingy, heaps of inbuilt floatation and very low decks,

      you can buy good plastic bailers that are rectangular and come with a handle, u tie them to the boat, excellent investment, add some floatation to the bow and stern you have a very sound boat

      Dynamite payson and gavin atkin both have some very nice small boats

      semi-dory from bateu.com is nice too
      http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=SD11#.UUscyDeGz-w
      Very nice simple boat, excellent as a first boat.

      note the image in the study plans is skewed, its proportions are nice at 11ft x 4ft, not the beamy version at the top of the study plans section

      absolutely nothing wrong with buying plans. worth the money
      jim mikalak piccup pram is nice too, whats $40.

      i adult 1 child, something a little bigger would probably be best, ideally 11ft as opposed to 10.5ft

      If your in the US, and you have just a little extra money, you can save a lot of time by buying the kit, laser cut panels. I can understand the desire to go smaller,

      Funny thing,, I dont know why, when you look at a boat on land it looks big, when you get into the water, the same boat shrinks, kinda an optical illusion.

      You can add styrofoam under seats for buoyancy, or do what I do, and put in a bulkhead at the front and back of the center thwart, then you enclose it. adds buoyancy for just a little extra weight.
    • Jerry McIntire
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2013
        My vote is Summer Breeze. 12" longer and 4" wider, room for both of your kids or if they bring a friend. More freeboard, good. More complete instructions, good, especially for a first time boat builder. No epoxy, even better!

        Jerry