Re: Budget build. Summer Breeze or ...?

  • Peter Evans
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2013
      I would go for summer breeze over Hannu's boat

      first reason is that it is longer, and lower, meaning faster and less windage.

      Also Hannu's plans are not much more than a series of offsets, whereas Summer Breeze has more detailed plans

      Summer Breeze is a fraction beamy, not much flare, in my opinion a boat optimised for rowing only should be narrower at the waterline and have more flare. My boat has massively more flare than Summer Breeze. For me it is still stable, but plus is that flare gives extra safety in rough conditions, and also goes faster. Downside is that Summer Breeze can be sailed whereas mine cannot be sailed in the slightest.

      If your going slow,, and want stability and peace of mind, then the extra waterline beam of summer breeze is fine.

      n peter evans

      please note that i built Hannu's little sister 18ft dory a few years ago. I guess it could be a good boat if you have 2 rowers and go out into the rough bay, but as a general purpose rowboat I was not impressed. Am much much happier with my smaller rowboat at 13.5ft. Even if freeboard is less, for me it is a far superior boat for the solo rower.
    • Peter Evans
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2013
        part 2 primarily sailing,,, i see that now

        i would definately go with summer breeze
        Hannus boat has too much flare to be a good sailing boat. Freeboard I think is a bit overated. Yes its good to have, but for 99 percent of the time a bit less gives superior sailing and rowing performance. Just look at a Laser dingy, heaps of inbuilt floatation and very low decks,

        you can buy good plastic bailers that are rectangular and come with a handle, u tie them to the boat, excellent investment, add some floatation to the bow and stern you have a very sound boat

        Dynamite payson and gavin atkin both have some very nice small boats

        semi-dory from bateu.com is nice too
        http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=SD11#.UUscyDeGz-w
        Very nice simple boat, excellent as a first boat.

        note the image in the study plans is skewed, its proportions are nice at 11ft x 4ft, not the beamy version at the top of the study plans section

        absolutely nothing wrong with buying plans. worth the money
        jim mikalak piccup pram is nice too, whats $40.

        i adult 1 child, something a little bigger would probably be best, ideally 11ft as opposed to 10.5ft

        If your in the US, and you have just a little extra money, you can save a lot of time by buying the kit, laser cut panels. I can understand the desire to go smaller,

        Funny thing,, I dont know why, when you look at a boat on land it looks big, when you get into the water, the same boat shrinks, kinda an optical illusion.

        You can add styrofoam under seats for buoyancy, or do what I do, and put in a bulkhead at the front and back of the center thwart, then you enclose it. adds buoyancy for just a little extra weight.
      • Jerry McIntire
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 21, 2013
          My vote is Summer Breeze. 12" longer and 4" wider, room for both of your kids or if they bring a friend. More freeboard, good. More complete instructions, good, especially for a first time boat builder. No epoxy, even better!

          Jerry