Mayfly 16

  • Martin
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 8, 2012
      Just got Jim Michalak's book on boatbuilding. Really good. Thinking of starting a Mayfly 16, modified of course, to sail in the Texas 200. I would like to add a small cabin & self draining cocpit, water tight seaats & fwd air tank for flotation, balanced lug rig, swing up lee board & wheel stearing (I just like wheels). Am I nuts? (probably).
      Martin
    • nutty_boats
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 8, 2012
        Certainly looks doable. But if the Texas 200 is hot, you may prefer a small tent instead of a fixed cabin.

        T. Lee.

        --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Martin" <mtnridr13@...> wrote:

        > Just got Jim Michalak's book on boatbuilding. Really good. Thinking of starting a Mayfly 16, modified of course, to sail in the Texas 200. I would like to add a small cabin & self draining cocpit, water tight seaats & fwd air tank for flotation, balanced lug rig, swing up lee board & wheel stearing (I just like wheels). Am I nuts? (probably).
        > Martin

      • Hajo Smulders
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 8, 2012
          It's a simple boat, but I don't see how you're going to get her ready on time with your mods. Maybe build her to spec first and then later adapt? (You will also know far better what you will want to change and what you won't)

          Hajo
          --
          “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  (Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson)

          On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Martin <mtnridr13@...> wrote:

          Just got Jim Michalak's book on boatbuilding. Really good. Thinking of starting a Mayfly 16, modified of course, to sail in the Texas 200. I would like to add a small cabin & self draining cocpit, water tight seaats & fwd air tank for flotation, balanced lug rig, swing up lee board & wheel stearing (I just like wheels). Am I nuts? (probably).
          Martin

        • Peter
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 8, 2012
            > Thinking of starting a Mayfly 16, modified of course,
            > to sail in the Texas 200.

            I agree with the others that the basic platform looks like a good choice. In your place, I would also be looking at a swinging leeboard. The other modifications don't appeal.

            I don't think you can get a big enough cabin to be very workable. My Bolger catboat of about the same length had a cabin but also very much higher sides. I would get a tent from REI or EMS for sleeping ashore and also try to work out a cockpit tent for sleeping aboard.

            I would want an awning, but it doesn't look workable. I guess I'd have to settle for a very bit, funny-looking hat.

            Peter
          • Martin Houston

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 11, 2012
                Doesn't it already have a leeboard? With cabin and all, including the BL rig option, it sounds close to another Michalak design: the 16ft AF3. Max, the outboard guru and founder of the Michalak yahoogroup, built an AF3. He wrote later that he'd found the cabin and the cockpit both to be too small and problematical, and if he built that sort of a boat again for cruising/camping he'd go with the open boat and storage compartments. Of course, others like their AF3 very much...

                Graeme

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 11, 2012
                  Yes it does have a pivoting lee board, one of the things I like about it. I have looked at the AF3, I'm thinking of a small removable cuddy cabin. I will have to live in it on the road too. With a tarp over the back, or mosquito netting. I like the underwater profile of the Mayfly & its sailing ability, from there I will be on my own design. I can't leave anything alone. That's part of the fun.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 12, 2012
                    Martin:

                    --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, Martin Houston <mtnridr13@...> wrote:

                    > ... I can't leave anything alone. That's part of the fun.

                    Some people wonder why we like design so much.

                    The challenge. What can we do to improve the usefulness of something.

                    T. Lee.