dimples

  • slrrls2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2011
      How deep of a dimple are you talking about here? Dimples identical to a golf ball or something at a macro level?
    • Carel Ruysink
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2011
        That is the big question. As is how many,what pattern and where.
        Lots of experimenting and racing different hulls in pairs.
        Be my guest, I love to know more.

        A few more horsepower, Watts or square meters sail is cheaper and faster to realise.

        Carel.

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2011

          Likely something a great deal smaller than golfball dimples, akin to sharkskin surfacing.

          Somebody else can explain the physics (or not) but the successes in this area (boats, swimsuits) have been in that size range.

          I obtain a similarly efficient surface by means of a technologically advanced technique which was originally developed for entirely different efficiencies - efficiencies in the labor required for the application of final surface finishes.  I call it "sloppiness" (C)(R)(TM).

          How deep of a dimple are you talking about here? Dimples identical to a golf ball or something at a macro level?