Re: Wharram Stability Formula

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 91 , Sep 1, 2010
      > Now where the hell were you, the first two times I flunked Calc I?

      Here: http://www.bowdoin.edu/math/
    • nutty_boats
      Message 91 of 91 , Sep 13, 2010
        --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

        > > i read somewhere that the planking on the viking longships were lashed to the
        > > frames with leather.the resulting flexibility allowed the ship to "move(?)" with
        > > the waves and not put too much strain on the ship.Dunno,just read it somewhere.
        >
        > That's true. It's also true that traditional carvel planking over bent frames has a lot more flexibility than, say, glued strip planking over sawn frames. It works, but it's not a performance benefit. The Vikings didn't have the technology to build a rigid boat of any size.

        No, it was a matter of weight. The Vikings wanted boats that were shallow drafted which could be brought up on shore by their crews, hence the light weight. In order to get the light weight without breaking in the waves, they had to be flexible to bend instead of break.

        T. Lee.