Re: [boatdesign] Re: More bio-based adhesive info

  • Lew Clayman
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2009

      Kicking and screaming.

      --- On Mon, 11/30/09, Chris Ostlind <lunadadesign@...> wrote:

      From: Chris Ostlind <lunadadesign@...>
      Subject: Re: [boatdesign] Re: More bio-based adhesive info
      To: boatdesign@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, November 30, 2009, 10:39 PM

      Don't get excited, Jon. The reference was supposed to be humorous. You have
      my deepest apology if you didn't get that.

      The rest of that did crack me up. So, yes, there is humor on this list. Just
      ask Lew.

      Oh, Geez... did I just drag Lew into it as well?

      Chris

    • Lew Clayman
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2009
        Lew has to take the best jokes offline.  Most of them are offcolor.

        I did catch something like it but I was not making a joke in the coralation between Climate Gate and Flatbottomskiff Gate. Lew takes the best jokes off line.

        Jon

        --- In boatdesign@yahoogro ups.com, Chris Ostlind <lunadadesign@ ...> wrote:

        > Don't get excited, Jon. The reference was supposed to be humorous. You have
        > my deepest apology if you didn't get that.
        >
        > The rest of that did crack me up. So, yes, there is humor on this list. Just
        > ask Lew.
        >
        > Oh, Geez... did I just drag Lew into it as well?
        >
        > Chris

      • Lew Clayman
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 1, 2009
          Ya know guys, whatever the case, it's ALWAYS a good thing when somebody makes an advancement in science - these bio-based things promise to teach us a lot, even if they never pan out as products themselves.  Sorting out just exactly how spiderweb works would be fabulous stuff - we know that for weight it's stronger than steel and of course it never rusts (though it may be vulnerable to something else, what do I know?).  Understanding how it gets to be that way, means we might be able to mimic that means in the lab and then in the factory.

          Even if they conclude that there is no value there (which I very highly doubt) it is valuable to have explored and closed off a blind alley.

          An adhesive or other material based on that knowlege might be years or decades away, but surely it's obvious how great the potential is.  At this point, I for one don't care if they end up making the industrial version out of petroleum or corn or basalt or butterflies - that's a matter to figure out WAY later in the effort.

          And just as surely, the potential exists under all imaginable climate scenarios - in this sense, the whole climate issue is a complete red herring when applied to adhesives research; it doesn't change the adhesives or the research or the potential value in any way, one climate situation or another.

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 1, 2009
            Chris:

            As a dour old Norwegian with a typical Norwegian lack of humor, I did not find a personal attack against Jon funny. It is that sort of personal attacks that have put you repeatedly on my personal "No Answer List". You can call me anything you want, after all, I did take the handle "Nutty_Boats", but in spite of my disagreements with Jon, I did not find your demeaning reference to him humorous.

            --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, Chris Ostlind <lunadadesign@...> wrote:

            > Don't get excited, Jon. The reference was supposed to be humorous. You have
            > my deepest apology if you didn't get that.
            >
            > Chris

            Back to glues:

            We have other bio-based adhesives: in some places they used human blood as an adhesive for high value items in their societies; years ago I read an article in a civil engineering mag. describing a manufacturer of pre-assembled housing's use of mayonnaise as an adhesive; as far as I know, general purpose wood adhesive is based on dairy products; wall paper paste is fine flour: so bio-based adhesive is not new news.

            Upon further reflection, how powerful is spider glue? What is its longevity? What I have seen so far seems that its longevity is less than the webs it is attached to. Organic chemicals tend to break down over time, I wonder how this one compares to others.

            Anyhow, researching this could lead to other advances, and is valuable in and of itself.

            T. Lee.
          • graeme19121984
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 1, 2009
              That's right. It was just some free association on my part: spider glue genes, the date, the anniversary, selection, survival, the CPRS deal announcement, ships. Bolger said computers couldn't do it yet. Then. Can they now? Free associate that is. Ooops.

              Graeme

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 1, 2009

                They can do a really good imitation of it, but only in very limited contexts.