Re: Wet slipper

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2009
      > http://slidercat.com/blog/wordpress/?p=192

      Ray, Following up on the comment on your blog about a solid center deck vs a trampoline. Have you done a weight comparison between ply and the Jones-style duckboards? I suppose duckboards would work out to be heavier since they need framing to hold them together, but they look so much shippier than ply. And they drain water.
    • rhaldridge
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2009
        Peter, the duckboards are heavier, but I think they are better too, especially if made of wood that can be left unfinished. Slider uses unfinished cedar duckboards, which give excellent footing.

        But in addition to being heavier, they are also much more expensive.

        Slipper is a platform for experimentation, so I thought I'd try a ply center deck finished with antislip paint. I'll probably rout slots into the deck to aid in draining water and to decrease the windage should the boat ever get up on one hull (unlikely, I hope.)

        Probably best would be a tramp, but a tramp takes a while to attach. For a cartop cat, speed of assembly is a big factor. The tramp would save at least 30 pounds but add quite a assembly bit of time at the beach, I think.

        Ray