Not a bad deal

  • Julian Fouser
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2009
    • john colley
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
        Needs a little work??? like my flying dutchman.At least mine still has its hull in one piece.

        ________________________________
        Make Yahoo!7 your homepage and win a trip to the Quiksilver Pro. Find out more

      • Julian Fouser
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
          A lot to said for a steel hull.

          --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, john colley <Helliconia54@...> wrote:

          > Needs a little work??? like my flying dutchman.At least mine still
          has its hull in one piece.

          > ________________________________

        • pvanderwaart
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
            > It needs a little work .

            We have had grounded vessels brought to Yacht Haven (up the street
            from my office) from time to time, always in better shape that this
            one. I guess there are shops that can put them back together if the
            hull is solid, but the one in the photos is trash plus parts.
          • Julian Fouser
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
              Fiberglass dose not really repair to well . I have done some patch job ,
              and always wonder if it will hold . Epoxy works , but you cant go back
              to polyester resin after. Any way Im getting to old to start any long
              term projects.

              --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@...>

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
                > Fiberglass dose not really repair too well.

                Part of the problem with the Beneteau and other "modern" factory made
                boats is that they are comprised of lightweight parts that reinforce
                each other. You can repair a small problem, but fixing a big problem
                may require a lot of time and energy getting the parts back into
                proper alignment, and you may have to take things further apart to get
                to the places you need to work.

                Almost never worth it unless the damage is localized, I think.
              • jhargrovewright2
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
                  I cut the top off a 17' Glastron runabout 30 years ago then ripped
                  out the floor and stringers and transom wood which were rotten.
                  Replaced the stringers put down a self bailing floor on top of that.
                  That rebuild made a great fishing boat that I still have and use
                  today.
                  Fiberglass is easy to repair. Making it look good takes some work.
                  johninbastrop

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
                    I'll bet you are still scratching from that one . Had to rebuild the
                    front of a Boston Whaler that my father ran into a wall . He was
                    running the water out , messing with the drain plug and not watching
                    where he was going . It looks a little funky but still floats .

                    --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, "jhargrovewright2"