Re: My thoughts on epoxy

  • nutty_boats
    Message 1 of 94 , Aug 1, 2007
      --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...> wrote:

      > I can't wait for the Northern US and Suthern Canada to be tropical
      > again so we won't have to go sow far to enjoy it.
      >
      > Jon
      >
      > Doing my part to recover from global cooling

      I wish I could be so optimistic. Local weather seems to indicate global cooling.

      In the late 1980s to early 1990s we had a seven year drought, there were kids in first grade who had never seen a drop of rain. The rains that we normally would get went to the north.

      Then Mount Pinatubo blew, giving a measured cooling of about a degree Faranhite world wide. Winter rains returned with a vengeance. They continued for more than a decade.

      Last winter we got a little less rain that we have had for a few years, as many storms went to the SOUTH of us, as well as we have had a few rains in the summer when usually we have none.

      I don't know about you, but does this pattern not indicate global cooling?

      There is one good thing about this, unless I am mistaken, wood rots more slowly in cold water than it does in warm.

      T. Lee.
    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 94 of 94 , Aug 4, 2007
        When I was about 12 we hicked in about 7 miles to a high lake when we
        got there we saw a canoe made out of 2 1940 style car hoods welded
        back to back. Who knows who made it or how long it had been there but
        steel and floating nicely as I recall. Worked great for fishing and
        left for the next hikers.

        Jon

        --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984"
        <graeme19121984@...> wrote:

        > > With all this contradictory data and claims out there,
        >
        > Few confound "denying" with "contradiction", whatever, that's
        > no "refutation". As things stand there's a reasonable chance that
        > big change will occur sooner rather than later. Why only
        > historical "boatdesign" then?
        >
        > It seems to me, for example, there's always been bad, and balmy
        > weather, economic considerations, and so on. Attention to those
        > areas of small boat design continues, and the wealth of previous
        > knowledge has gotta be applicable. I think the impacts of
        shortages,
        > costs of materials, regulation, and so on, will have an increasing
        > effect on design in the short term.
        >
        > In places there are already many alternative solutions to those
        > widely consumed around the world. It's now second nature to many
        > that small boats just have to be either of GRP or aluminium, less
        > and less "wood". We're told that in small boats steel is not an
        > option. Like aluminium, steel prodution can use electric power
        > entirely, arc furnaces etc, but less. That can be solarpower, or
        > whatever.
        >
        > Other than for commercial purposes such as barge like moorings
        > maintenance vessels, no one here would have a small boat made of
        > steel - too heavy, rust, upkeep - yet in the Netherlands I believe
        > light steel boats, say a five metre outboard recreational fishing
        > boat, are common, and give long service with little maintenance.
        How
        > can this be improved on? For small sailboats of every type, canoes?
        > I have seen photos of the Netherlands boats sometime ago, but don't
        > recall where for now. This 350lbs Selway Fisher Shetland 14
        Workboat