Re: Structural Foams/Least Effort

  • nutty_boats
    Message 1 of 141 , Jun 1 5:53 AM
      The answer to this question is "Probably not."

      The reason that both JW and I have found is that suitable foams are not widely available. The foams widely available are for insulation, sometimes can be used for flotation, but lack the strength needed for structural use.

      My guess is that the quickest construction method with all materiels widely available remains the plywood/urethane glue method. No, the boat probably won't be pretty, but you can make it workman finish, and maybe even sell it for the cost of the lumber at the end of the journey.

      T. Lee.

      --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, Lew Clayman <lew_clayman@...> wrote:

      > Those whom I've bored for long enough know that a
      > constant trope of mine is, how could that be made
      > easier and faster, even if, in some sense, slightly
      > less good? Hence the least-cuts challenge, the
      > straight-cuts concept, and so forth.
      >
      > Suppose I want (and maybe I really do) to cruise the
      > English canals for two weeks, camping. Could I walk
      > out of the local Home-Depot-cum-Royal-Warrant with a
      > load of stuff, cart it down to the nearest canal, and
      > be waterborne by lunchtime the next day --- in foam?
      >
      > It doesn't have to be a showpiece, it just has to get
      > me from someplace with a rail station, builder's
      > supply, and canal (all in easy walking distance), to
      > someplace else with a rail station generally in the
      > same town as the canal, in around two weeks -
      > someplace with an Underground Station gets extra bonus
      > points. Preferably, Place Two is closer to Heathrow.
      >
      > I think that I can do it readily in ply, or in ply
      > plus PVC.
      >
      > Your move.
      >
      > Mind the gap,
      > -L

      > History is just one damn thing after another.
      >
      > - Winston Churchill
    • pvanderwaart
      Message 141 of 141 , Jun 4 11:48 AM
        > But with a high freeboard, low draft boat (like the AS) the added
        > volume would only be partly under water, thus in relation to the added
        > weight less added buoyancy. The result might be that the boat sits on
        > the same lines like before the modifications, or even slightly lower.

        Agreed. Bolger often seems to be unconcerned about overloading his
        boats, and he may feel that the AS-29 has enough reserve. He has also
        written in numerous places about the use of high freeboard on shoal
        draft yachts to get reserve stability. The foam would help with that,
        but it would not help much with sail carrying power at moderate angles
        of heel.