Windward-sailing Barbary pirates

  • Gavin Atkin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
      So how did they manage to sail so effectively to windward? See this:
      http://intheboatshed.net/?p=609

      Gav
    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
        > So how did they manage to sail so effectively to windward? See this:
        > http://intheboatshed.net/?p=609

        As best I recall, one (or more) of the Hornblower novels uses the term
        Xebec to describe an enemy. I don't remember how much description
        there is. C.S. Forrester tended to describe things "en train", i.e.
        did not give additional detail to the uninitiated.

        I've wonderered about a lateen cat schooner, loose footed on the fore,
        boomed on the main.