Kayak Paddle Assist

  • meanderline
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hi all,

      Since there was some interest in the paddle crutch I thought I'd
      mention an alternate device. Unfortunately I forget its inventor's
      name, he wrote me 5 years ago after I described the crutch in
      Messing About In Boats. He was an engineer who worked with springs.

      His system is a fiberglass pole mounted behind the paddler. When I
      mocked it up I used a bicycle flag safety pole. You could probably
      use a fishing rod as well. Attach a line from the end of the pole to
      the middle of your paddle. By playing with the attachment point you
      can increase or decrease tension. Get it to balance out the
      paddle's weight and it becomes weightless. You can get it to
      balance out your arm weight as well but then if you let go the
      paddle wants to fly up in the air.

      Unlike the crutch you can do absolutely everything with this system
      that you would do normally - even high braces. I prefer the crutch
      because it takes more weight, doesn't stick up where it might get
      caught in branches or worse on the bottom in case of rolling or
      capsize, doesn't have material fatigue/tension issues, and doesn't
      have a line moving around in front of your eyes which
      makes me sea sick,but - hey - you might like the spring system
      better. I tried making a harness you could wear thinking that bowed
      poles tension would provide back support, as well as avoiding
      drilling a hole in your kayak, but I couldn't get it comfortable
      enough.

      Thoughts?