Re: that Tancook Whaler again

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2005
      > We never noticed any anoyance with the tiller, at least no
      > one ever said anything.
      > The Rosinante in our club was faster.

      It would be possible to set up a horizonatal bar of some sort for the
      tiller to ride on. It just looked awkward to me falling to the side.
      Perhaps it's one of those things you worry about until you get
      experience with it.

      I'm sure the Rozinante would be faster, especially upwind, but it
      looks like the whaler would be a better cruiser. Still, speed isn't
      everything.

      Peter
    • Wayne
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2005
        --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, Mike Goodwin <panmanii@p...> wrote:
        > Wayne,
        > Read the fine print.
        > The Museum of the Atlantic calls it a Tancook fishing sloop , not a
        > whaler .That is a replica of a boat in their fine collection.
        > The Tancook whaler has always been a schooner rigged boat and
        always a
        > double ender.
        > The Tancook sloop has a transom . I have sailed across Mahone Bay
        NS on
        > a 44' Tancook whaler to Tancook Island
        >
        > Wayne wrote:

        Ok, Ok, Ok, Ok. I went back and read Michael's post again. It seems
        that the Museum in Halifax built and launched the Tancook sloop in
        the photo. Meanwhile, the Museum in Lunenburg was building a Tancook
        Whaler. Two different boats. There can be no denying that the Tancook
        SLOOP built in Halifax and pictured at the WoodenBoat Forum is one
        sweet looking boat.

        Wayne
        In the Swamp.
      • Mike Goodwin
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1, 2005
          Now you have it !
          2 very different and beautiful boats, the sloop is an inshore boat and
          the whaler is offshore and was built up to 55' long .

          Wayne wrote:

          >--- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, Mike Goodwin <panmanii@p...> wrote:
          >

          >>Wayne,
          >>Read the fine print.
          >>The Museum of the Atlantic calls it a Tancook fishing sloop , not a
          >>whaler .That is a replica of a boat in their fine collection.
          >> The Tancook whaler has always been a schooner rigged boat and
          >>

          >always a
          >

          >>double ender.
          >>The Tancook sloop has a transom . I have sailed across Mahone Bay
          >>

          >NS on
          >

          >>a 44' Tancook whaler to Tancook Island
          >>
          >>Wayne wrote:
          >>

          >Ok, Ok, Ok, Ok. I went back and read Michael's post again. It seems
          >that the Museum in Halifax built and launched the Tancook sloop in
          >the photo. Meanwhile, the Museum in Lunenburg was building a Tancook
          >Whaler. Two different boats. There can be no denying that the Tancook
          >SLOOP built in Halifax and pictured at the WoodenBoat Forum is one
          >sweet looking boat.
          >
          >Wayne
          >In the Swamp.
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Wayne
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 1, 2005
            --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, Mike Goodwin <panmanii@p...> wrote:
            > Now you have it !
            > 2 very different and beautiful boats, the sloop is an inshore boat
            and
            > the whaler is offshore and was built up to 55' long .

            Neither having much to do with hunting whales, apparently.

            Wayne
            In the Swamp.

            ps: I still like that sloop. Grinning.
          • mocap1
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 3, 2005
              --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne" <wtorry@v...> wrote:
              > --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, Mike Goodwin <panmanii@p...>
              wrote:
              > > Now you have it !
              > > 2 very different and beautiful boats, the sloop is an inshore boat
              > and
              > > the whaler is offshore and was built up to 55' long .
              >
              > Neither having much to do with hunting whales, apparently.
              >
              > Wayne
              > In the Swamp.
              >
              > ps: I still like that sloop. Grinning

              I have a house on Big Tancook, and own an old schooner-rigged wooden
              Tancook scallop boat built by Dave Stevens. I bought it last year, and
              haven't sailed it yet. I hope to get it in the water early July. I
              also have a St Pierre dory that I keep on the island and use for
              transportation and fishing.

              Mort
            • Wayne
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 3, 2005
                --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, "mocap1" <mocap1@y...> wrote:

                > I have a house on Big Tancook, and own an old schooner-rigged wooden
                > Tancook scallop boat built by Dave Stevens. I bought it last year,
                and
                > haven't sailed it yet. I hope to get it in the water early July. I
                > also have a St Pierre dory that I keep on the island and use for
                > transportation and fishing.
                >
                > Mort

                Mort,

                Will you adopt me? I come with a boat. I'm house broken. :-)

                I really need to run away from home.

                Wayne
                In the Swamp.
              • Corbin
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 3, 2005
                  WAYNE, Wayne, wayne,

                  Who would want some one from the swamp even if they do come with a
                  boat and are house broken? Can I join in I know how to pull ropes and
                  scrub desks... OPPS I mean Decks.

                  LOL!!!

                  Corbin
                  Draco the Red

                  --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne" <wtorry@v...> wrote:
                  > --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, "mocap1" <mocap1@y...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I have a house on Big Tancook, and own an old schooner-rigged wooden
                  > > Tancook scallop boat built by Dave Stevens. I bought it last year,
                  > and
                  > > haven't sailed it yet. I hope to get it in the water early July. I
                  > > also have a St Pierre dory that I keep on the island and use for
                  > > transportation and fishing.
                  > >
                  > > Mort
                  >
                  > Mort,
                  >
                  > Will you adopt me? I come with a boat. I'm house broken. :-)
                  >
                  > I really need to run away from home.
                  >
                  > Wayne
                  > In the Swamp.
                • boatmath32
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 3, 2005
                    --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, "mocap1" <mocap1@y...> wrote:

                    > I have a house on Big Tancook, and own an old schooner-rigged
                    > wooden Tancook scallop boat built by Dave Stevens. I bought it
                    > last year, and haven't sailed it yet. I hope to get it in the
                    > water early July. I also have a St Pierre dory that I keep on
                    > the island and use for transportation and fishing.
                    >
                    > Mort

                    Mort,

                    What are the specs - LOA, LWL, Beam, etc. on the scallop boat ?
                    Any pictures to share ?

                    I am working up a design for a schooner rigged day-boat. Something
                    like a Chesapeake terrapin smack, but with a bit more freeboard.
                    (15 inches freeboard on a 37 footer is a bit too far on the only-in-
                    the-fairest-weather side for me.)

                    Regards,

                    Ed R
                  • Wayne
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 3, 2005
                      --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Corbin" <corbinbates@n...> wrote:
                      > WAYNE, Wayne, wayne,
                      >
                      > Who would want some one from the swamp...

                      I come with Acadian background too.

                      Wayne
                      In the Swamp.
                    • mocap1
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 4, 2005
                        --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, "boatmath32" <boatmath32@y...>
                        wrote:

                        > Mort,
                        >
                        > What are the specs - LOA, LWL, Beam, etc. on the scallop
                        boat ?
                        > Any pictures to share ?
                        >
                        > I am working up a design for a schooner rigged day-boat.
                        Something
                        > like a Chesapeake terrapin smack, but with a bit more freeboard.
                        > (15 inches freeboard on a 37 footer is a bit too far on the only-
                        in-
                        > the-fairest-weather side for me.)
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        >
                        > Ed R

                        I haven't made any measurements, but it's an open boat about 26' on
                        deck, and has a bowsprit. I live in Tucson, but am returning to
                        Tancook on June 15, and will take some measurements then. I have
                        some poor pictures of the boat being transported, around somewhere,
                        and will upload them if I can find them and get a chance before I
                        leave. I will take some better pictures this summer.

                        The boat is in Butch Heisler's boatyard in Chester. Butch is the
                        local wooden boat expert; he and his father Ben built the Chester C
                        class sloops. It was Butch's opinion that it was a scallop boat. The
                        lines are typical of the smaller Tancook schooners. Someone else
                        offered the opinion that it was Dave Steven's version of a Bush
                        Island inshore fishing boat. I spoke to Steven's daughter Michelle,
                        and his son, but wasn't able to find out anymore about it.

                        Mort
                      • boatmath32
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 4, 2005
                          --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, "mocap1" <mocap1@y...> wrote:
                          > --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, "boatmath32" <boatmath32@y...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > Mort,
                          > >
                          > > What are the specs - LOA, LWL, Beam, etc. on the scallop
                          > boat ?
                          > > Any pictures to share ?

                          [ snip ]

                          > I haven't made any measurements, but it's an open boat about 26' on
                          > deck, and has a bowsprit. I live in Tucson, but am returning to
                          > Tancook on June 15, and will take some measurements then.

                          Sounds like a fairly small Tancook whaler type. Could be handsome!

                          That's longer than I am thinking/drawing - ~22 feet LOD, 21 feet (D)
                          WL. Looks to be about 7'4" beam, and 1'6 draft. 260 sq ft of sail.
                          Deadrise skiff hull, least freeboard about 18". Bowsprit about 5'6"
                          outboard. Chesapeake transom-hung rudder.

                          > some poor pictures of the boat being transported, around somewhere,
                          > and will upload them if I can find them and get a chance before I
                          > leave. I will take some better pictures this summer.

                          Sounds good.

                          > The boat is in Butch Heisler's boatyard in Chester. Butch is the
                          > local wooden boat expert; he and his father Ben built the Chester C
                          > class sloops. It was Butch's opinion that it was a scallop boat.
                          > The lines are typical of the smaller Tancook schooners. Someone
                          > else offered the opinion that it was Dave Steven's version of a
                          > Bush Island inshore fishing boat. I spoke to Steven's daughter
                          > Michelle, and his son, but wasn't able to find out anymore about it.

                          If it is in condition to go sailing, ENJOY !

                          Regards,

                          Ed R