Re: [boatdesign] Goat boats

  • Michael Casling
    Message 1 of 48 , May 1 7:40 AM
      I have been watching the shows on the DNA testing. It is fascinating stuff and will surely be a massive help in tracking the movement of people, many of whom used boats to get there.
      Michael
      Message 48 of 48 , May 2 9:47 AM
        --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, "nutty_boats" <nutty_boats@y...>
        wrote:
        > Tord:
        >
        > I just realized what is wrong with this picture: they compared it
        with
        > DNA from Iceland.
        >
        > First problem: many years ago I read a study that showed that the
        > blood types more closely resembled Ireland than Scandinavia
        >
        > Second, a few hints in the sagas and Icelandic folklore indicate
        that
        > Irish were the first to inhabit Iceland.
        >
        > Third, there were close trade and communication between Iceland and
        > Viking Ireland.
        >
        > Adding these all together, you are more likely to get a DNA sample
        > that more closely matches Viking DNA in Härjedahlen,
        Jämmtland or
        > Norland than in Iceland.
        >
        > T. Lee.

        If the blood type testing were done with mitochondrial DNA, which is
        inherited only from female ancestors, it could be that the early
        Icelandic women were nearly all from the earlier Irish settlers who
        were spared when the Viking raiders killed off the men, or Irish
        women who had either married or been enslaved by Viking raiders in
        Ireland. It would be interesting to see if y-DNA testing pointed to
        Nordic male ancestors.