Re: [boatdesign] Re: Descendants of the Viking boats

  • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
    Message 1 of 38 , Apr 1, 2004
      You can get a better look at Valgerda here:

      http://www.atkinboatplans.com/

      On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:09:16 -0000, Peter wrote:
      > If Hannu can not oblige, you might look at the plans for Valgerda, an
      > 18'7' Hardangersjekte which is in John Atkin's book Practical Small
      > Boat Designs. The plans are available from here:
      > http://www.by-the-sea.com/atkin&co/
      >
      > This boat is drawn with a shoal keel and 106 lbs of lead, but that
      > could be omitted in a pure rowing version.

      John <jkohnen@...>
      http://www.boat-links.com/
      I Can't take a well-tanned person seriously. <Cleveland Amory>
    • Lew Clayman
      Message 38 of 38 , Apr 11, 2004
        That's certainly how the Dove's two ship's boats work
        every spring - one is clinker, the other part carvel
        and part clinker. They sink to the gunnels, and take
        up. After a week, we bail & pump, and all is well.

        There's a severe check in one carvel bottom plank - so
        severe that, working on it on the trailer last week, I
        could see daylight through it. But it "self seals"
        every spring, and caulking it would only make it
        spread (as it would swell anyhow, and the pressure
        thus created has to go someplace).

        --- John Welsford <jwboatdesigns@...> wrote:
        > According to some of the literature that I have
        > these boats did infact leak when new, and when
        > launched were often sunk in the harbour for a week
        > or so to take up . That was still the norm until
        > fairly recently with both clinker and carvel
        > building and even now, when boats of thse
        > constructions are put in the water after being
        > hauled out the pumps are manned until the water
        > swells the planking.
        >
        > JohnW

        =====
        "The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat."
        - Lily Tomlin
        =====

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html