Re: Micro Auray

  • Hannu Vartiala
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
      Yes, it is. Except that I have changed the .hul file slightly (the
      changed file is online now). The bow transom was slightly too wide on
      top for real plywood to take the twist.

      The wood work is now almost finished, but my son in law borrowed my
      camera on friday, so no more pictures until I get it back :-(

      Hannu

      --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Staehling" <staehpj1@y...>
      wrote:
      <clip>

      > Is this project the
      > same as that .hul file?

      <clip>
    • Hannu Vartiala
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 8, 2004
        Finally I got my camera back. Only for a while, I was told.

        http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/gsahv/tmp/aurayu.jpg

        There's no hurry painting her. Last Sunday I went skiing around one
        of the outer islands, the ice is some 1 1/2 ft thick. So the maiden
        voyage will probably be in early May.

        Hannu
      • Hannu Vartiala
        Message 3 of 26 , May 27, 2004
          Finally, finally, finally I could take my Micro Auray to the seashore.

          http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/gsahv/ossauray/aurayu09.jpg

          I built her in the basement last winter (my wife was away for a
          week), and almost got her finished, but then suddenly had to take her
          out of the basement to the wood shed (my wife came back home).

          Not until last saturday did I have a change to finish the paintwork,
          and sunday - the maiden voyage.

          In a drizzling rain and +3 C temperature :-(
          So it was only a quick dash.

          But my first quick impressions were positive. The 6' sculls were
          right, she was light to scull, tracked well, felt reasonably stable.
          And very light to carry, I weighed her to only 12 kg / 26 lbs.

          A nice toy.

          Hannu
        • Bill Jaine
          Message 4 of 26 , May 27, 2004
            Absolutely beautiful Hannu, a boat well worthy of the Auray history.

            Now we can have an Auray fleet, Hannu's Micro, Worth's Traditional and
            Gavin's Fifi.

            Next size should be a 22 footer.....who's up to the challenge?

            Bill
            Port Hope. Canada

            Finally, finally, finally I could take my Micro Auray to the seashore.

            http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/gsahv/ossauray/aurayu09.jpg

            I built her in the basement last winter (my wife was away for a
            week), and almost got her finished, but then suddenly had to take her
            out of the basement to the wood shed (my wife came back home).

            Not until last saturday did I have a change to finish the paintwork,
            and sunday - the maiden voyage.

            In a drizzling rain and +3 C temperature :-(
            So it was only a quick dash.

            But my first quick impressions were positive. The 6' sculls were
            right, she was light to scull, tracked well, felt reasonably stable.
            And very light to carry, I weighed her to only 12 kg / 26 lbs.

            A nice toy.

            Hannu

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            ---
            Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

            ---
          • Bruce Hallman
            Message 5 of 26 , May 27, 2004
              > From: Hannu Vartiala
              > I built her in the basement last winter (my wife was away for a
              > week), and almost got her finished, but then suddenly had to take her
              > out of the basement to the wood shed (my wife came back home).

              That problems is best cured by finding a new wife <big grin>.

              > And very light to carry, I weighed her to only 12 kg / 26 lbs.

              Amazing! What did you use, 3mm plywood?
              Is it your design, or who is the designer?
            • Hannu Vartiala
              Message 6 of 26 , May 27, 2004
                --- In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman <hallman@g...> wrote:
                > > out of the basement to the wood shed (my wife came back home).
                >
                > That problems is best cured by finding a new wife <big grin>.

                Oh yes, I know, done that once already. The first one didn't want to
                go near a boat. This one does go boating with me, but doesn't approve
                boatbuilding in the living room. Maybe not perfect, but much better
                <an equally big grin>.

                > > And very light to carry, I weighed her to only 12 kg / 26 lbs.
                >
                > Amazing! What did you use, 3mm plywood?
                > Is it your design, or who is the designer?

                4 mm birch actually. A sheet weighs about 8 kg / 18 lbs. And solid
                wood parts of spruce as much as possible.
                The design is a traditional one, fiddled by many, read the history in
                the files section, in John's Auray folder, Auray.txt and
                AuraySBJ.txt. I just scaled her down to a one sheeter.

                Hannu