Re: [boatdesign] more on wooden spars

  • Gavin Atkin
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "imduds" <dalerogers@...>
      To: <boatdesign@yahoogroups.com>

      This method, which I think was cooked up originally by Bob Pone, is
      certainly interesting.

      What do you think are its advantages?

      Gavin
    • Lew Clayman
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
        Mike Saunders over on DinghyCruising has pioneered what he calls a "redneck
        lathe" for just purposes. Not to steal his thunder, but as I understand it, it
        goes like this:

        The spar is suspended between two sawhorses, as follows - a hole is drilled
        into each end of the spar, centered, such that a phillips (x-head) screwdriver
        will fit snugly. A larger hole is drilled in each sawhorse, such that the
        screwdriver shafts will turn freely. The screwdrivers are then inserted
        through the sawhorses and into the spar ends. The untrimmed spar should spin
        freely.

        A belt sander is then brought to bear on the spar. When set at 90 degrees it
        will spin the spar but produce only minimal sanding, when parallel to the spar
        will sand like crazy but not spin; at intermediate angles, it's a lathe!
        Others besides the inventor have used the thing and report good results (I have
        not tried it). I'm told that a little bit of experimentation will identify the
        most effective angle for your particular rig.

        -L

        --- imduds <dalerogers@...> wrote:
        > It has occured to me, though I have not tried and would recomend
        > caution when experimenting with this method, that you could rig a
        > make shift lathe for final finishing your spars. If you clamped a
        > dowel or some steel rod to your bench and drill a matching hole in
        > the head of your spar (you might want to build some waste into the
        > end of the spar so that the hole can be removed, or maybe plug the
        > whole with a dowel when finished). Fit one end of the spar into the
        > the makeshift bearing (rod fitted to your bench) and utilise an old
        > speed bore fitted into your electric drill and hammered into the
        > other end of the spar. A friend could operate the drill on a low
        > speed whilst you sand or the drill could be clamped to another bench.
        >

        > Regards Dale.

        =====
        "It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
        - Yogi Berra
        =====

        http://greetings.yahoo.com/