      From: "pvanderwaart@..." <pvanderwaart@...>
      To: boatdesign@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 12:36 PM
      Subject: [boatdesign] Boat Of The Week

      This group has been dormant for a few months. At first, I was sort of interested to see how long it would be until someone posted. Now it seems more important to see if anyone still has any interest at all. And I'm a bit interested to see how much advantage can be had from recent changes on the part of Yahoo!

      I'm going to post once a week, rambling on about one design or another, just to see if anything happens. Sort of "if you post it, they will comment." Or not.

      These days, one of the big drivers in the small boat, home design, home build movement in the US are our long distance group cruises modeled on the European raids. These events such as Watertribe and the Texas 200 are pretty challenging, and some very small and primitive boats have participated. I feel I'm too old and decrepit, given some health problems (I once had all-night cramps after 1 day sailing in the sun.), but I've thought about what kind of boat would be good for me. It would need to have good protection from the elements, and be big enough to sleep in, with insect-proof screening. It could be as small as Welsford's Tread Lightly or as big as Bolger's Birdwatcher, but as of today, I would go with Michalak's Scam Pram. Plans here:

      I had a boat of similar size and sail area, a Bolger Cynthia J. I only sailed alone once, because I felt it needed the additional person for ballast. The Scam Pram has ballast (to be determined by owner) and high sides. I never capsized the CJ, but I'm sure it would have been big trouble to do so.  Scam Pram will survive most events that would swamp CJ while staying high and dry.

      SP also has the Birdwatcher-type cabin, offering protection from the sun (a requirement for me).

      As for sailing performance, I think the lines of a pram-type boat have got to be straighter than the lines of a sharp-bowed boat of similar length, so I think SP should live up to her name.

      That's my comment for today. I hope to be back in about a week with comments on some other boat.

      Peter (moderator)

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic