50207RE: Designs for small boats / big seas

  • graeme19121984
    Nov 25, 2013

      Martin's Moby Dick dory designed by William Jackson, photos from 1:51m, here: Building the Jani J-Inspirations 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0v--N6fJRk

      Ends of the sides at sheer and chine appear rather straight in plan and profile (Jackson's magazine article burry photo and drawings don't really show this up as well). This is why I asked about using only a central mold --- if I was going to add buoyancy tanks in the ends I'd think hard about the added bulkheads thwartships dimensions for inducing more curvature towards the ends. That said, the cartopped upturned boat  photo shows some surprising spring to the sheer and chine - more than is evident in Jackson's article. I think the boat looks a good'un in Jackson's article, but a little more "boxy" and "dowdy" looking than Martin's version turned out.

      "better sailing boats than a dory with lee boards" - There maybe are better dories than a sailing boat with leeboards, or better sailing dories than a boat with leeboards, and so on, depending on, well, you know, depending on this and that.

      Graeme

      ---In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, <mtnridr13@...> wrote:

      I built her to the plans but designed my own gaff rig. I didn't do any capsize tests & had no floatation but we did go out the breakwater with 4 people on board. I thought the transom was pretty narrow, she sailed very well with 2 lee boards on a 2X4 framework. When I built the cabin I fastened them to the cabin sides. The flared sides had a lot of reserve buoyancy & we never shipped water. She would pound relentlessly going into a chop but road big swells very well. I didn't take out any thwarts in  fact made boards to go between them to make my bunk. I have pictures of her on youtube. Building the Jani J-inspirations 3. She was not the most ideal sea boat but I like dorys & she did pretty good.
      Martin

      On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:07 PM, "graeme19121984@..." <graeme19121984@...> wrote:

      Martin, before you closed yours in with a cabin did you perform any voluntary or involuntary capsize or m.o.b tests? If so how went the recovery? How went the reboarding? Did the broader transom grant the stability and buoyancy to support you easily climbing back in?

      Graeme

      ---In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, <graeme19121984@...> wrote:

      Martin, Moby Dick has a rather wide transom for the usual tombstone dory - does it drag? Do you think it would go better with more rocker - how about a 1" bite from the topside planks instead of the designed 2" to induce that? How did the sideplanks take the curve being bent around just the one central mold? How did their shape look from various viewpoints? Did you go with the designed rabbet in the stem. or substitute with sawn bevels and cover with a cap over stem and plywood edges? Did you go with designer William Jackson's sail rig, if so how was that? Did you leave the thwart out to get an unobstructed floor space for a sleep spot on the bottom?

      Graeme

      ---In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, <mtnridr13@...> wrote:

      Years ago I built a 15 ft plywood dory from plans in a magazine called "Moby Dick" I believe plans are available online. I made a sail rig for her & sailed her on the open sea out of Redondo Beach Ca. She handled it really well even off Palos Verdes Point. I  later built a small cabin on her & lived on her in the marina for 8 months. I now have an AF3 that I believe is as seaworthy as the dory. It's not what the boat can take but what you can. Check out "Tinkerbell" a 10 ft sailing dingy that crossed the Atlalantic. A boat is just a boat, the sailor makes her seaworthy or not.
      Martin

      On Sunday, November 17, 2013 10:46 AM, "scotdomergue@..." <scotdomergue@...> wrote:

      Thanks.

      Yes, the ocean rowing boats were one of the inspirations.  I wanted a sea-worthy boat, and they go through hurricanes on a regular basis.  But the Marsh Duck is MUCH smaller and lighter, not self-righting . . . and she sails somewhat like a racing dinghy in the right hands (another of my goals).  Also, I normally row her about 4 knots in calm conditions which is far faster than I could move one of the ocean rowing boats!

      ---In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, <Helliconia54@...> wrote:

      Nice looking boat!Very similar in concept to the trans Atlantic rowing craft.

      -Sigurd Olson

      On Sunday, 17 November 2013 3:18 AM, "scotdomergue@..." <scotdomergue@...> wrote:

      I've been noticing this thread.  Perhaps it's time to mention my Marsh Duck, which I designed to be adequate for "big seas" - in a very minimalist way, certainly NOT for power - rather sail and oars (sliding seat, sculling).  I haven't yet had her out on the open ocean, but did spend three months cruising the Salish Sea, including out in the middle of the Strait of Georgia in 20 to 25 knot winds and white caps 4 feet high; also Johnston Straight in winds ranging from 20 to 35 knots (many hours running before the wind, sail reefed to under 25 sqft; a little beating into the same level of wind, but that's a real chore, not as fun).

      You can see lots about her at www.scotdomergueblog.wordpress.com.  Plans/construction manual are available from Duckworks Magazine on-line.  She's essentially a big, fully decked, sailing canoe with aft cabin, 18 feet long (not counting the rudder, hull beam is 42 inches, though as I built and use her there are "wings" (deck extensions) to 54 inches wide in the cockpit area for hiking out.  Stitch and glue construction, 6 sheets of thin plywood (if you're very careful) with 6 oz fiberglass and epoxy both exterior and interior.  She weighs under 200 lbs including all sailing and rowing gear and a small solar power system for electronics, 20W panel.

      Again, she's essentially a sailing canoe, narrow; a bit more stable than Howard Rice's Sylph or Hugh Horton's Bufflehead, I think, but still easy to capsize.  If the hatches are adequately sealed, she goes over and comes back up easily, ready to sail, with little water in the boat.  Definitely NOT for most, but she is capable of handling big seas in the right hands.

      Probably not the boat this thread is about, but she is a very small boat that is designed for island and coastal cruising and can handle big seas.

      Scot

      ---In boatdesign@yahoogroups.com, <gregs12357@...> wrote:

      I'm on the lookout for next boat project. Looking to build something as small as possible ie < 15 ft but that can handle open seas - is this possible for a boat under 15 ft? A larger design might be best option e.g simmons sea skiff 18/20 ft or common dory (plenty of free designs on net for dory). Can anyone recommend a good design for bigger seas? Cheers