Hus Alan Cheese for Elizabethan Faire

  • Faoileann
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2010
      Hus Alan has the following cheeses available for delivery at Elizabethan
      Faire on June 5th in the Marche of Tirnewydd. Orders MUST be placed in
      advance.

      Aged Bleu (9+ mos) $25.00/lb
      Mild Bleu (4-9 mos) $19.00/lb
      Mild Cheddar (4-9 mos) $17.00/lb
      Medium Cheddar (9-12 mos) $19.00/lb
      Sharp Cheddar (12-18 mos) $21.00/lb
      Smoked Mild Cheddar (4-9 mos) $17.00/lb
      Feta (cow's milk) $8.00/lb
      Manchego Curado (1-3 mos) $17.00/lb
      Manchego Viejo (3-12 mos) $20.00/lb
      Aged Muenster (6+ mos) $20.00/lb
      Mozzarella $14.00/lb
      Ricotta, 1/2 lb tub $2.00
      Swiss $15.00/lb

      Our artisanal cheeses are aged in an environment in which the temperature
      and humidity are carefully controlled. We regret that we cannot bring stock
      to sell at an event because the changes in temperature greatly increase the
      deterioration of the cheeses. There is also the possibility of
      contamination, which would render the cheese unsaleable.

      The younger the cheese, the milder it is. Therefore, a cheese with the
      designation of 'fresco' indicates a very fresh, mild-tasting cheese. These
      are good for grilled cheese sandwiches or for grating over casseroles.
      'Mild' cheeses are beginning to develop their signature flavor and are about
      the same intensity as commercial cheeses. 'Medium' cheeses have even more
      flavor intensity and 'aged' cheeses are very strong-flavored. Feta and
      Halloumi are of Mediterranean origin and are very salty.

      As always, these cheeses are available in amounts as small as 1/2 lb
      (approx). If you are interested please contact Giles at
      gilesfitzalan@... to make arrangements for delivery.

      Preliminary research has shown that these cheeses are indeed period.

      Cheese Locale Earliest documentation

      Roquefort (Bleu) France 1071
      Feta Greece 1st century BCE
      Halloumi Cyprus 1554