Re: [bnhs_news_group] Fw: Painted Lady National Migration

  • Sheila Brooke
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
      I could not count either but they were flying through Shropshire on a
      fairly regular basis over the weekend.
      Sheila

      On 31 May 2009, at 16:43, Ian Woiwod wrote:

      Unfortunately I couldn't do any counting yesterday. However, there is
      still
      a migration going through Cockayne Hatley today but at a much reduced
      level.
      I've been getting an average of 5 per 5 minute per 250 metre from midday
      until 4.30pm. That's quite a long transect, so the movement would be
      virtually invisible to anyone looking over a shorter distance (i.e.
      100m or
      less). Again towards the NW but I have seen a couple going in the
      opposite
      direction.

      Ian

    • SteveCham1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
        Hi
        Although I missed out on the influx into Beds over last week I was camping in the New Forest where the numbers passing were phenomenal. Over several days on our campsite at Roundhill I counted between 50-75 a minute flying northwards. Every where we walked they were present. There was a strong southerly wind much of the time. I have never seen anything to compare with it.
        Back in Beds yesterday there were noticeably lower numbers. Hopefully there are more to come before the forecasted rain and cool weather returns.
        Cheers
        Steve C