Doves

  • DIANA HAYDEN
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      Can anyone enlighten me please? What reasons might there be that 12-15 white doves (plus another dozen wood pigeons and other multi coloured pigeons) - so approximately 20+ of these birds altogether - have disappeared. Just like that. Gone. From my garden. During the heatwave.

      Background is that I feed birds every day. Have done for a few years. These birds, once they started visiting me, about 2 years ago, then came regularly umpteen times a day. In fact they make such a racket with their feet clattering on the roof where I throw the food that I have often wondered if my neighbours hate me for encouraging them. But they are nice animal loving neighbours so I hope not. But the point is, there were a lot of birds. Regularly throughout the day from dawn until dusk. They had become so tame and used to me that I could walk about 6 feet from the bird table and they didn't fly away. They make quite a lot of noise so their presence was noticeable and very welcome and a lot of fun.

      As soon as the worst of the heatwave started (let's say approximately a fortnight ago they suddenly dropped in numbers. Sometimes I only saw two or three - usually a few in the (slightly) cooler evening. None during the day really so I assumed in that heat they either don't have the energy to fly round for food or they sit in shade until they need to move.

      But I had noticed from the last few days no food is going at all. My once very noisy back garden (my neighbours will know this!) is absolutely silent. There is not a single white dove. Not a single collared dove. Not a single pigeon. Nothing at all.

      Sorry - long story - this is now upsetting me for the last 2 days. I'd like to think wherever they came from they have found another garden where they can feed. But is that possible? What scares me is they died in the heat? Is that possible????? Was it lack of water? Why have they all died?

      I'm in Harlington.

      Can any of you experts suggest the most likely explanation. It is actually upsetting me deeply because you couldn't not notice them all sitting on my house roof - along the ridge - most of the day. My garden is as if dead. A very noisy garden full of birds all day is as if dead.

      Diana Hayden