Fw: Moths at Sharpenhoe

  • DIANA HAYDEN
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004

      Sorry, another message from  me - must stress again a novice, absolutely fascinated by all the info from this group.  We came home with so many last night photos - not really expecting to be clever enough to identify but it seemed easy to find these are Six-spot Burnets ((Zygaena fiipendulae).  Is that right?  I'll assume these are a very common sight as there were several on each flower at this spot at 8.45 pm and we got several clear photos but these were the only two together!  (There were several other moths but not good enough photos to include here.)

      Diana Hayden

      PS Due to the all the conversations on the list recently it seemed better not to inundate with messages but I would like to thank the people who explained about the work in Flitwick Churchyard which I was thrilled to read and also information about our frog photo - all of this is much appreciated.
    • Andy Banthorpe
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
        Diana,
        They are indeed 6-spot Burnets, a common moth on the chalk downlands at this
        time of year - and very nice to see too. If you look carefully you can often
        find the papery cocoons that they have emerged from - attached is a picture
        of one taken at Totternhoe last year

        Cheers

        Andy B

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
          Diana - Following on from Andy's comment re the pupa cases, I saw thousands of these in Devon last August when I was at Braunton Burrows on a family holiday - see copy below - but only a few of the adult moths this year, on an earlier family holiday to the same place from which I returned last week -  "in Devon - seaside holiday with children and grandchildren), I'm completely out of touch with what's been going on in Beds since 22nd August. I was at Saunton Sands/Braunton Burrows between Braunton and Croyde, opposite Lundy, and my highlights were 10,000 Common Blues, 10,000 Meadow Browns and 2,000 Small Heaths on 24th August (declining very rapidly thereafter, with just single figures by 3rd September); an estimated total of 100,000 empty burnet-moth pupa cases in just two dune slacks (there were 160 on a single rush plant, and 100 counted in a representative 2m x 2m area, but the moths themselves were long gone); an Adder and five Common Lizards; a Marsh Harrier, a Peregrine, regular Ravens and Stonechats; Marsh Helleborines and Round-leaved Wintergreen; and five incipient tornados (one on 30th August and four on 31st
          August), the first that I have ever seen."
          *
          > They are indeed 6-spot Burnets, a common moth on the
          chalk downlands at this
          > time of year - and very nice to see too. If you
          look carefully you can often
          > find the papery cocoons that they have
          emerged from - attached is a picture
          > of one taken at Totternhoe last
          year

          > Cheers
          >
          > Andy B
          >
          > -----
          [bnhs_news_group] Fw: Moths at Sharpenhoe

          Sorry, another message from  me - must stress again a novice, absolutely
          > fascinated by all the info from this group.  We came
          home with so many last
          > night photos - not really expecting to be clever
          enough to identify but it
          > seemed easy to find these are Six-spot Burnets
          ((Zygaena fiipendulae).  Is
          > that right?  I'll assume these are
          a very common sight as there were several
          > on each flower at this spot at
          8.45 pm and we got several clear photos but
          > these were the only two
          together!  (There were several other moths but not
          > good enough
          photos to include here.)

          > Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads.
          Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
          > Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for
          free!

          href="http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/aCYolB/TM">http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/aCYolB/TM

          > <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send
          an email to:

          > <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject
          to: