Village skate park hailed

  • Geneb
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2005
      *** Village skate park hailed ***

      Birdingbury, UK -- 09/08/2005
      BMX biker Lewis Cutts can't wait to learn new stunts and
      tricks on a half-pipe installed in a Warwickshire village.

      He was among a crowd of children who enjoyed the opening of
      a multi-games pitch and skateboard park in Birdingbury, near
      Rugby.

      Lewis, aged 10, who lives in the village and goes to Dunchurch
      Junior School, said: "I'll probably be here every day hopefully.
      I want to learn some new tricks on my bike."

      The £56,000 park includes ramps and jumps for bikers and
      skaters, and an all-weather pitch for football, basketball, tennis
      and badminton.

      Villagers sprang into action after older children
      complained there was nowhere for them to go.

      They raised thousands of pounds with the difference made up
      with grants from organisations including Rugby Borough Council
      and Awards for All.

      Villager Ben Sharratt, aged 15, a pupil at Ashlawn School,
      in Rugby, said: "The village definitely needed it because there
      was nothing for the older kids."

      His mum, Jean Sharratt, said: "A few people opposed it but
      most of us pulled together. There's no excuse for the kids to
      be out on the road now because they can use the park."

      Peter Welch, aged 53, of Main Street, Birdingbury, and chairman
      of the recreation field committee, said: "It's somewhere they can go
      summer and winter - this was what they wanted. It's taken two-
      and-a-half years to get to this stage."

      Geneb...Wenatchee,Washington-USA
      All Things Northwest in BMX!
      ***** Gene`s BMX *****