Re: Congratulations; Also radio drama.

  • buffalodavid
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30 9:39 AM
      I have a lot of "X Minus One" shows in boxes of cassets, somewhere. It was one of my favorite shows.

      As I have often said, radio was in color long before TV was.
      --- In bmoviecast@yahoogroups.com, "Mark R. Leeper" <mleeper@...> wrote:

      > An open letter to Vince. (Email makes it easier to publish Internet links
      > than making Mary read them.)
      >
      > Vince,
      >
      > You know, lots of people congratulate you on reaching episode 200. Nobody
      > every seems to congratulate you for reaching episode 201. Yet it took you
      > more effort to do 201 episodes than it took you to do 200. Everybody and
      > the monster in his lab are congratulating you for doing 200 episodes. I
      > bet nobody but me congratulates you for reaching 201. Keep up the good
      > work.
      >
      > Last episode there was some question about what X Minus One was. I went
      > back to the episode but could not find where it was talked about. The
      > caller or writer pointed to an archive of episodes. But people were not
      > sure what it was.
      >
      > In the years 1950 to 1951 on NBC there was a science fiction radio
      > program, Dimension X, that (usually) adapted stories taken from the pages
      > of Astounding Stories, the most respected science fiction magazine of the
      > time. Most of the stories they took were from authors who were already
      > familiar to science fiction fans or who would become familiar. The
      > authors were people like Isaac Asimov, Robert Bloch (of later PSYCHO
      > fame), Ray Bradbury, and Robert Heinlein.
      >
      > From 1955 to 1958 the program was revived but renamed X Minus One. Again
      > it did stories from major authors. Somewhere along the line they started
      > taking stories from Galaxy Magazine instead--nearly as popular as
      > Astounding. The programs for both series were a few minutes short of half
      > an hour. They were for radio what The Outer Limits was later for
      > television.
      >
      > These are archives of episodes of the two programs.
      >
      > <http://archive.org/details/OTRR_Dimension_X_Singles>
      >
      > <http://archive.org/details/OTRR_X_Minus_One_Singles>
      >
      > If people decide they like classic radio drama they may also like the
      > collection of episodes of Escape and Suspense at
      >
      > <http://www.escape-suspense.com/>
      >
      > Wow. 201 episodes! Even if nobody is congratulating you for doing 201
      > episodes, it is a great feat.
      >
      > --
      > Mark R. Leeper, <mleeper@...>
      > Homepage: http://leepers.us/markleeper

    • Rich Chamberlain
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30 3:41 PM
        Nothing better than classic old time radio! And I had to laugh when I read this. I just left Vince a voicemail congratulating him on 201 episodes. Great minds!

[...]

        From 1955 to 1958 the program was revived but renamed X Minus One.  Again
        it did stories from major authors.  Somewhere along the line they started
        taking stories from Galaxy Magazine instead--nearly as popular as
        Astounding.  The programs for both series were a few minutes short of half
        an hour.  They were for radio what The Outer Limits was later for
        television.

        These are archives of episodes of the two programs.

        <http://archive.org/details/OTRR_Dimension_X_Singles>

        <http://archive.org/details/OTRR_X_Minus_One_Singles>

        If people decide they like classic radio drama they may also like the
        collection of episodes of Escape and Suspense at

        <http://www.escape-suspense.com/>

        Wow.  201 episodes!  Even if nobody is congratulating you for doing 201
        episodes, it is a great feat.

        --
        Mark R. Leeper, <mleeper@...>
        Homepage: http://leepers.us/markleeper

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            bmoviecast-digest@yahoogroups.com
            bmoviecast-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Mark R. Leeper
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2012
          On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:39:02 -0400, buffalodavid <buffalodavid@...>
          wrote:

          > I have a lot of "X Minus One" shows in boxes of cassets, somewhere. It
          > was one of my favorite shows.

          You too? I had painstakingly collected them for years on cassette,
          recording most of them off of the radio. I was about six away from having
          a complete collection of "Dimension X" and "X Minus One", when suddenly
          they became easily available from places like archive.org. Now that was a
          mixed emotion. :-)