Coleman Station Bluegrass Festival

  • Tim Custer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
      Hello everyone,

      On behalf of my sister Cindy, my brother Kevin, myself and our families,
      I would like to take this opportunity to introduce you to a new
      bluegrass event that will take place on September 17th & 18th, 2004
      called the Coleman Station Bluegrass Festival.

      Many of you folks knew our parents Kenny "Slab" & Betty Custer and how
      much they enjoyed supporting, promoting and performing bluegrass in the
      area. So with our many great memories as children and also later in
      life of being around these kinds of events, we thought we would try to
      provide an opportunity to carry on that tradition.

      The Coleman Station Bluegrass Festival will be held between Friedens &
      Shanksville, PA on 32 scenic acres of old farm property within a few
      miles of the Flight 93 Memorial, the Quecreek Mine Rescue Site, the
      Flight 93 Memorial Chapel and several Windmill Farms.

      We believe we've lined up some of the best talent in the area. Already
      on the bill are Blue Shades, pickin@bluegrass, The Allegheny Drifters,
      Mountain Therapy and we've got several others "on the hook waiting to
      reel them in!" Friday evening will feature an open stage and Saturday
      the fun begins on stage at noon. Hopefully, with the conditions of an
      early fall evening, there should be plenty of great jamming "ringin'
      high atop the Allegheny mountains!"

      There is plenty of room for FREE camping and campers can arrive anytime
      Friday and stay until Sunday. Sorry, we don't have any "hook-ups" yet
      but there is a "full hook-up" campground located within easy walking
      distance and adjacent to the festival grounds and the folks at Pine Oaks
      Campground have offered to be gracious hosts to those wanting to stay
      there for a fee. A "dump station" is also available for a fee as well.
      Porta Pots will be available throughout the festival grounds.

      The Shanksville Volunteer Fire Department will be providing concessions
      and I believe we'll talk them into bringing in for display the "Flight
      93 Memorial Tanker." We will also have "on site" wireless internet
      available for those who can't go the whole weekend without your
      computers and we will be "broadcasting" the stage shows throughout the
      festival area via FM radio.

      We realize we have a lot to accomplish and with your comments,
      suggestions and support, we'll do our best to make this festival
      enjoyable for everyone.

      Please visit our web site for additional details, directions and
      updates: Coleman Station Bluegrass Festival
      <http://www.blue-grass.org/festival/index.html>
      Sincerely,
      Tim Custer

      If you need to contact us via e-mail...
      Tim 5picker@... <mailto:5picker@...>
      Kevin kuggie@... <mailto:kuggie@...>
      Cindy cindy@... <mailto:cindy@...>

    • Tim Custer
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
        Howdy everyone,

        We are just a few short weeks away from the Coleman Station Bluegrass
        Festival to be held September 16th & 17th, 2005. The festival grounds
        are located at 1144 Coleman Station Road just about halfway between
        Friedens and Shanksville, PA. (near Somerset)

        As you may remember from last year, hurricane Ivan came through that
        weekend and deposited his wrath upon us and the surrounding areas here
        in PA forcing us to cancel last years festival, hence we are billing
        this as the "2nd, FIRST Annual." (ha-ha)

        We are looking forward to better weather this year and we believe we've
        got a great line up in store for everyone to enjoy.

        Admission is only $5.00 for Friday and $10.00 for Saturday. Children 12
        and under are FREE.

        Bring your lawn chairs! We have a beautiful, partially shaded stage
        area in a natural amphitheater setting and will have additional shelter
        from the sun if necessary.

        Friday the stage shows start at 6:00 PM until 10:00 PM and Saturday the
        stage operates from Noon until 10:00 PM.

        Friday's schedule:
        6:00 PM - Opening Ceremonies
        6:10 - 6:50 PM pickin@bluegrass
        7:00 - 7:50 PM Mountain City Grass
        8:00 - 8:50 PM Blue Shades
        9:00 - 9:50 PM Mountain City Grass

        Saturday's schedule:
        Noon - Opening Ceremonies
        12:10 - 12:45 pickin@bluegrass (with special guests & kids!)
        1:00 - 1:45 Mac Martin & The Dixie Travelers
        2:00 - 2:45 Allegheny Drifters
        3:00 - 3:45 Cliff Waldron & The New Shades Of Grass
        4:00 - 4:45 Mountain Therapy
        5:00 - 5:45 Mac Martin & The Dixie Travelers
        6:00 - 6:45 Allegheny Drifters
        7:00 - 7:45 Mountain Therapy
        8:00 - 8:45 Cliff Waldron & The New Shades Of Grass
        9:00 - 9:45 Blue Shades

        The Shanksville VFD will be providing concessions throughout the
        weekend. Compustitch Embroidery will be selling Coleman Station
        Bluegrass Festival T-shirts and other bluegrass related apparel. Mark &
        Karyn will have the "Grassware" booth set up as well.

        Plenty of room for camping and rough camping is FREE with the purchase
        of a ticket.
        Campers are welcome anytime Friday until Sunday.
        No hook-ups on the festival site but there is a full hook-up campground
        adjacent to the festival site and within easy walking distance to the
        stage area. Please call Pine Oaks Campground (814-445-4093) for rates.
        There is a dump facility (for fee) there as well.

        Plenty of "parking lot pickin'" and jamming will take place too!

        In accordance with local Fire Code, campfires will be permitted in
        approved fire rings only. We have several available on a first come
        first served basis. We also have a limited supply of firewood available
        for purchase.

        We will have several 50-50 drawings throughout the weekend and we will
        be raffling off a "Basket of Cheer" to be filled with various CD's, a
        festival T-shirt, a quart of PA Maple Syrup, a bottle of Glades Pike
        Wine and other selected goods.

        There will also be a raffle for a Blueridge BR-40 acoustic dreadnought
        guitar with a custom embroidered Coleman Station Bluegrass Festival gig
        bag to be given away to some lucky winner on Saturday evening.

        Stage shows will be broadcast via FM radio across the festival grounds.
        No need to miss a minute of the stage action if you go back to your
        camper or car.

        We'll have wireless internet access available on site. All you'll need
        is an 802.11b wireless card. We won't be using encryption during the
        festival. We'll have staff available to provide some technical help if
        necessary. We'll also have a small "Internet Cafe" set up on site for
        those who don't have laptops/cards, but still need access to a computer
        during the weekend.

        Pets are permitted on a leash in the camping area only. Please clean up
        after your pet!

        No alcohol or smoking permitted in the concert area.

        We are within minutes of these area attractions:
        Flight 93 Memorial and Crash Site
        Flight 93 Memorial Chapel
        Windmill Farms
        Quecreek Mine Rescue Site

        Additional and up to date information can be found at the festival web site
        http://www.blue-grass.org/festival/index.html

        You can also phone any of these numbers:
        814-444-8509
        814-442-2409
        814-442-8841
        814-445-7143
        814-442-6938
        814-279-1306
        814-893-5653
        814-242-5886

        We hope to see you all in a few weeks!
        The Custer Family

      • Tim Custer
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 27, 2005
          Howdy everyone!

          Sorry for not responding sooner to the emails, but Brenda & I have just
          returned from a short trip to Niagara Falls with our friends who had
          come up from FL for the festival and as you can imagine, things can be
          as hectic after a festival as they are before.

          Thanks so much to everyone for your kind words about our festival.
          Without the help and support of everyone, we could not have
          accomplished what we did and we can't begin to tell you how much we
          appreciate everyone's efforts on our behalf. Our gratitude cannot be
          expressed appropriately with words but a sincere "thank you" anyway! We
          had a lot of encouraging comments and we're happy so many people were
          pleased with what we tried to accomplish. We are thankful that so many
          of you attended.

          All the bands did a super job and everyone commented throughout the
          weekend that they were provided with some of the best entertainment they
          had ever seen. A GREAT BIG thank you to all the performers! Thanks to
          John Trout for his expert help in the MCing department.

          Thanks to all the volunteers, and friends for pitching in and doing what
          ever was necessary. Many took several days off work to come and make
          preparations. Your friendships are invaluable!

          Thanks to the Shanksville VFD and Jason Snyder for their hard work and
          dedication at the concession trailer. A special thanks to Mark & Karyn
          from Grassware for bringing their great bluegrass related apparel and to
          Cindy & Compustitch Embroidery who provided the official Coleman Station
          Bluegrass Festival t-shirts and other selected goods.

          Thanks to Neil Boyer and Somerset Computer Center for the wireless
          internet access.

          And before this gets too long winded...

          I'd like to thank my sister Cindy for all her help but especially for
          her tireless practicing of her fiddle so we could all play on stage. I
          know I wasn't the only one who was proud and enjoyed it!

          Thanks to my brother Kevin for all his help (ask him sometime about us
          getting the telephone poles) and who's sound expertise is unmatched!

          To all the rest of our family members, a special thank you for all your
          help.

          And last but certainly not least... thanks to my wife Brenda. Without
          her endless support of me and this music I love, the Coleman Station
          Bluegrass Festival would have never materialized. She spent countless
          hours by my side moving dirt, cutting down trees, dragging limbs,
          burning brush, picking rocks, planting grass, planting flowers, mowing,
          decorating and organizing all the details both large and small all
          because she felt it was the right thing to do on my behalf and that of
          our family. Although she doesn't play or perform, I believe she feels
          the joy of music the same as those who do. As dad would say... "she's a
          keeper!"

          Thanks again to everyone who came and made the 2nd, First Annual Coleman
          Station Bluegrass Festival one to remember. I think mom & dad and all
          those who are watching over, would be proud!

          We learned a lot about the logistics of having a festival and those who
          support our efforts. We are going to sit down and analyze all of these
          factors and make a decision about continuing. Should we decide to move
          forward, we hope you'll all be a part of our next one.

          Sincerely,
          Tim Custer
          P.S. To whomever felt it was necessary to "borrow" one of our custom
          made Coleman Station Bluegrass Festival fire rings upon your exit... I
          hope you enjoy many hours of great music and warm comfort around it.

          Dave wrote:

          >Thanks to Tim, Brenda, Kevin...to just everyone involved with the
          >festival. Great music, sound, & friends! Everything was just super!
          >Best 2nd annual, first festival I've ever been to.
          >Dave

        • Tim Custer
          Message 4 of 6 , May 8, 2006
            Hi everyone,

            It's International Bluegrass Music month, so what better time to start
            making your plans for those bluegrass events throughout the summer and
            fall, than the month of May.

            Here's one we hope you all will put on your calendar again for this year...
            The Coleman Station Bluegrass Festival to be held September 15 & 16 near
            Friedens, PA.

            From the reports we've received, last year's festival was tremendous
            amount of fun & enjoyment for all. We are anxious to provide you with
            another outstanding, quality bluegrass festival here in the Allegheny
            Mountains of Western Pennsylvania and best of all... we've kept ticket
            prices the same as last year! We've got a fantastic line up of
            top-notch regional and national bands on board again this year and
            dollar for dollar, it's some of the best entertainment your money can
            buy. Don't forget, if you purchase advance tickets (by Sept. 1st)
            you'll save even more money!

            Joining us on stage this year are:

            Jay Armsworthy & Eastern Tradition
            The Coal Mountain Ramblers
            Francine & The Mountain Top Band
            pickin@bluegrass
            Blue Shades
            The Allegheny Drifters
            Mac Martin & The Dixie Travelers
            Mountain Therapy
            Lost & Found

            Once again, camping in the rough is FREE with a weekend ticket and we
            have plenty of room for tents, campers and R/V's. Campers are welcome
            to arrive beginning anytime Friday and stay until Sunday. Remember, for
            those who need full hook-ups, Pine Oaks Campground is adjacent to the
            festival grounds and it's within easy walking distance to the concert area.

            We are looking for a few volunteers to help out with several of this
            year's duties so if you might be interested in lending a helping hand,
            please visit our web site and click on the volunteer link for additional
            information.

            Speaking of our web site... we've added photos from our 2005 festival.
            Please take a moment to view them. We think you'll agree that everyone
            had a great time.

            Our web site has all the necessary information, directions and event
            details you'll need to plan your weekend with us. You can print our
            2006 flyer from there as well so stop by for a visit, mark those
            calendars and tell your friends and neighbors... we'll see you in September.

            www.blue-grass.org/festival

            Tim & Brenda & the Custer Family

            Coleman Station Bluegrass Festival
            1144 Coleman Station Road
            Friedens, PA 15541-6912

            NOTE: Feel free to pass this email along to anyone you think appropriate.

          • Tim Custer
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 29, 2006
              Hi everyone!

              With the amount of daylight getting shorter, most of the county fairs
              behind us, and the Labor Day holiday upon us, it's apparent the festival
              season of 2006 is quickly coming to an end. But before we close out
              this summer's activities, again we'd like to invite you to attend the
              Coleman Station Bluegrass Festival near Friedens, PA on September 15th &
              16th.

              We've got a great line up of bands taking the stage both Friday and
              Saturday. Concessions are provided by the Shanksville VFD. There's
              plenty of FREE camping with a weekend ticket and if you hurry,
              (postmarked by Sept.1) you can still get the advance ticket rate of just
              $12.00 for the entire weekend! We'll also be raffling off a Martin
              guitar to a lucky winner on Saturday evening.

              We're looking forward to seeing all you folks from last year and meeting
              many new faces this year. Additional information about the festival,
              the bands, directions and contact information can be found at:
              www.blue-grass.org/festival

              We are located high atop the Allegheny mountains in Western PA and just
              a few miles from the PA turnpike at Somerset, Route 31 or Route 30.
              Come on up!

              See you in a few weeks...
              The Custer Family

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 28, 2010
                Hi everyone,

                Thanks to all who posted about our festival.
                We were truly blessed this year and it was our extreme pleasure to
                present another bluegrass festival at Coleman Station.

                We still have plenty of work to do tearing down and packing up but I
                wanted to take a moment to publicly say thanks to everyone who has
                supported us along the way. We couldn't do this without the help of all
                the bands, our wonderful friends and volunteers.

                But most of all, thanks to all those who came out and spent the weekend
                with us at our festival.
                Your comments made our hearts fill with happiness.
                Dolefully, for those who didn't attend... we believe you missed
                something special within our bluegrass community.

                Thanks again,

                Tim & Brenda
                & the Custer Family