New Member From Texas

  • mkcjlane@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 10 4:27 PM
      Greetings:
      Just joined the group yesterday and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is
      Mike Lane and I live in Georgetown, Texas with my wife, Carolyn. I'm a lover
      of "classic" country music (everything else is just noise). Got serious
      about playing harmonica and singing about four years ago when I retired
      although I've played around with harmonicas for years. Love to "jam" with a
      good guitar and a fiddle. I play diatonics, mostly and I like to harmonize,
      play fill and riffs as opposed to playing melody all the time. I try to
      complement the singer - because thats what I want when I'm at the mike.

      Equipment-wise, I play Lee Oskars, use a Shaker Madcat microphone plugged
      into a Pignose GV60.

      Looking forward to exchanging ideas and tips!

      Mike Lane

    • Derin C. Wester
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 10 5:00 PM
        Nice to meet you Mike and welcome to the group. Do you use a pre-amp with your Shaker Madcat mic? How do you
        describe the sound you get with your set up? Do you ever trade LO reed plates for special tunings that work
        well with country music? Hope to hear from you. -- Sonny Derin

      • miltloomis@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 10 9:57 PM
          Welcome, Mike. Is Georgetown anywhere near San Antonio? That's about
          the onliest place I've been in Texas. My wife's forebears on her
          father's side were fom that area. Alsburys I think. Do you find the
          Pignose big enough to deal with loud jams?

          Happy Webtrails, Bob Loomis
        • mkcjlane@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 11 5:35 AM
            Hey, Derin:
            Do not use a preamp with my Madcat - plug directly into the amp (sometimes
            throught a Danelectro Dan-Echo effects box). The Pignose GV60 has a high-low
            gain switch on it. I set the switch to l"low" and crank up the volume.
            Sounds good, although there is plenty of room for improvement; but that has
            to come from me - the amp really does the job well.
            Have not ventured into specially tuned reeds and such. I do have a Hohner
            "country tuned" C but I haven't quite figured it out! What I really like
            are the "low-tuned" harps - great for melody. Just recently acquired Hohner
            Special 20s in "low tuned" D and E. Have had a Lee Oskar low tuned F for a
            long time. All are tuned an octave lower than normal and get you out of the
            high register on a normally tuned harp. Normally you would have to play
            "cross" to get this deeper, throatier sound and that just doesn't come
            natural to me. Almost forgot, I do play a Hohner CX-12 chromatic C when I
            want to get the low octave sound in that key.
            Regards - Mike

          • mkcjlane@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 11 5:49 AM
              Hey, Bob:
              Yes, Georgetown is about 125 miles north of San Antonio straight up
              Interstate 35 through Austin - that is, if you can get throught Austin with
              all that traffic.
              I like that Pignose amp; when I crank it up I can cut right through the
              steel guitars, fiddles, etc. Most of the "jams" I go to do not have a
              "house" band. You can join in and play along all you want and take your turn
              at the stage mics to do your thing. I use the Madcat mic and the Pignose
              when I'm playing backup but when it's my turn do a song, I play and sing
              through the stage mic directly into the PA. For me, this works better - less
              feedback than with two mics, one mic is easier to handle, and more volume
              when you need to play a song through to let the rest of the guys get a feel
              for melody, tempo, etc..
              Regards - Mike

            • ncblues@sandtech.net
              Message 6 of 11 , May 22, 2001
                --- In bluegrassharp@y..., mkcjlane@a... wrote:

                > Equipment-wise, I play Lee Oskars, use a Shaker Madcat microphone
                plugged
                > into a Pignose GV60.
                >
                > Looking forward to exchanging ideas and tips!
                >
                > Mike Lane, Have you ever tried playing thru a condenser mic? I use
                two Peavey's,PV480 mic and a Audio Tech.AT858(with rack mount)I use
                the 480's placed as V shape toward me. Most of the time, I use my
                vocal mic (Peavey 535), with a little slap back delay.I sometimes use
                Shure SM58, when everyone has a Shure SM58 to use.(jamming with
                someone else's PA system)Jumpin' Dave. I would think that the Pignose
                would be less clarity. Correct me, if I am wrong. That's why I never
                use my Champ to play. Jumpin' Dave.

              • Bob Meehan
                Message 7 of 11 , May 22, 2001
                  Hi Guys,
                  Just a heads up. The way to play bluegrass harmonica is through a PA mic
                  An SM 57 or SM 58 through a PA is a good choice, the same as the rest of the
                  acoustic band, the old fashion way with one mic for the whole band has
                  become very popular lately.or with no mic at all, if you are not on stage.
                  The way to be heard is for the other band members to get quiet when someone
                  else takes a solo.
                  Of course if you are not playing bluegrass music this does not apply and you
                  can do anything you want.
                  Best regards,
                  Bob Meehan

                • mkcjlane@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 24, 2001
                    Hey, there Jumpin' Dave and Bob:
                    Sorry I'm late with the response to your comments but just got back from a 3-day Country-western/Bluegrass Jamboree at Fentress, Texas. Had a great time but I'm blown out. Dave, Re: the Shaker Madcat, I play it thru the Pignose GVR-60 (and sometimes a Pignose -20) when I am jamming with a very large group of musicians and I am backing up the singer/player that's on the stage mike. When it is my turn to do a number, I usually use the stage mike, whatever it may be, cupping the harmonica in my left hand and mike in the right. I've tried to use the Madcat and stage mike to play/sing but I get tangled up in the logistics of it all - and the stage mike into a PA is usually louder (which helps when you're trying to do a song that the other musicians have never heard before).
                    Bob, I'm not much into playing bluegrass although I like to listen and watch a good bluegrass group. And, as you say, they share the mike, stepping up and backing off as the lead is passed.
                    Good to hear from you guys - Mike
                  • ncblues@sandtech.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 24, 2001
                      --- In bluegrassharp@y..., mkcjlane@a... wrote:
                      > Hey, there Jumpin' Dave and Bob:
                      > Sorry I'm late with the response to your comments but just got back
                      from a 3-day Country-western/Bluegrass Jamboree at Fentress, Texas.
                      Had a great time but I'm blown out. Dave, Re: the Shaker Madcat, I
                      play it thru the Pignose GVR-60 (and sometimes a Pignose -20) when I
                      am jamming with a very large group of musicians and I am backing up
                      the singer/player that's on the stage mike. When it is my turn to do
                      a number, I usually use the stage mike, whatever it may be, cupping
                      the harmonica in my left hand and mike in the right. I've tried to
                      use the Madcat and stage mike to play/sing but I get tangled up in
                      the logistics of it all - and the stage mike into a PA is usually
                      louder (which helps when you're trying to do a song that the other
                      musicians have never heard before).
                      > Bob, I'm not much into playing bluegrass although I like to listen
                      and watch a good bluegrass group. And, as you say, they share the
                      mike, stepping up and backing off as the lead is passed.
                      > Good to hear from you guys - Mike,Do you have the opportunity to
                      mic your amp? I am not familiar with the Pignose, 20 or 60. I have a
                      Princeton ReverbII, with a recording outline. Sometimes I use it to
                      bi-amp with another Princeton or a Champ. With blue grass music, amps
                      intimidate most blue grass pickers. I use a good vocal mic for both
                      amp(PE58 and SM58) and micing the amp. I use PV535i for vocals and
                      usually play harmonica thru it too. Keeping the harmonica sound clean
                      is best in unplugged situations. All styles.
                    • ncblues@sandtech.net
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 25, 2001
                        --- In bluegrassharp@y..., "Bob Meehan" <yeehaw@c...> wrote:
                        > Hi Guys,
                        > Just a heads up. The way to play bluegrass harmonica is through a
                        PA mic
                        > An SM 57 or SM 58 through a PA is a good choice, the same as the
                        rest of the
                        > acoustic band, the old fashion way with one mic for the whole band
                        has
                        > become very popular lately.or with no mic at all, if you are not on
                        stage.
                        > The way to be heard is for the other band members to get quiet when
                        someone
                        > else takes a solo.
                        In our town of Lenoir, Ralph Stanly, has come and gone many times as
                        well as Tony Rice and others. I was onced asked to play our regular
                        Blue Grass Festival. I agreed. I was to play with another picker and
                        song writer.(Gospel) Well, we didn't get to play on the big stage as
                        planned, instead we were to play on the old Post Office steps with
                        some others. When I asked, would it be alright to bring my PA. I was
                        told NO! blue grass pickers don't use PA(traditionally) My remark,
                        well, Ralph and the boy have one. Well, they're headliners, everyone
                        has hear them. Attitude my friends, Attitude!

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • mkcjlane@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 25, 2001
                          In a message dated Thu, 24 May 2001 4:12:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ncblues@... writes:

                          >Do you have the opportunity to mic your amp?

                          Probably have the opportunity..but not the inclination, Dave. First, I ain't that good a player and second, I wouldn't want to overpower the really good musicians...and the vocalists. But thanks for the suggestion.