Blueeyes deployment

  • janx_sprit
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2011
      Thanks for creating the framework and this group. I'm just getting my feet wet but I had some initial questions, one of which involves deployment.

      It looks like the natural way to deploy Blueeyes services is as an independent server process per service. Is it possible or are there plans to provide for deployment into a traditional application server as a war?

      My interest in this comes largely from the way my organization already deploys and monitors services. Fitting an application based on servlets, such as Scalatra, into that deployment mechanism is seamless, so operations doesn't complain.

      Is it possible to wrap Blueeyes services in a servlet somehow? Thanks!
    • jdegoes
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2011
        --- In blueeyes-web@yahoogroups.com, "janx_sprit" <greggcarrier@...> wrote:
        > Thanks for creating the framework and this group. I'm just getting my feet wet but I had some initial questions, one of which involves deployment.

        Sure, happy to help!

        > It looks like the natural way to deploy Blueeyes services is as an independent server process per service. Is it possible or are there plans to provide for deployment into a traditional application server as a war?

        We have no plans to do this ourselves, although if someone contributes a servlet engine, I'm happy to incorporate it into the main distribution.

        > Is it possible to wrap Blueeyes services in a servlet somehow? Thanks!

        BlueEyes is very modular, and it's possible to replace nearly any part of it without affecting other parts. In order to support a servlet container, you would have to create a new implementation of HttpServerEngine, which would implement a servlet interface.

        Let me know if you need any help doing this.

        Regards,

        John
      • Gregg Carrier
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2011
          On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 12:02 PM, jdegoes <john@...> wrote:
          > Is it possible to wrap Blueeyes services in a servlet somehow? Thanks!

          BlueEyes is very modular, and it's possible to replace nearly any part of it without affecting other parts. In order to support a servlet container, you would have to create a new implementation of HttpServerEngine, which would implement a servlet interface.

          Great - I'll keep this in mind as I get familiar with the framework. Thanks for the quick response.

          Gregg

          Let me know if you need any help doing this.

          Regards,

          John

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             blueeyes-web-digest@yahoogroups.com
             blueeyes-web-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • mlagutko
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 14, 2012
            I have added ServletEngine to BlueEyes.

            To use ServletEngine it is necessary:
            1. Create "Servlet Service Server" like:

            class SampleServer extends ServletServer with SampleService

            2. Specify "Servlet Service Server" into web.xml like:

            <servlet>
            <servlet-name>Sample Server</servlet-name>
            <servlet-class>services.servlet.engines.SampleServer</servlet-class>
            <async-supported>true</async-supported>
            <init-param>
            <param-name>configFile</param-name>
            <param-value>path_to_config_file</param-value>
            </init-param>
            <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
            </servlet>

            Pay attention that both "<async-supported>true</async-supported>" and "configFile" are required.

            Because "ServletEngine" uses servlet api 3.0 "ServletEngine" is supported only by Tomcat 7.x and Jetty 8.x.

            --- In blueeyes-web@yahoogroups.com, "jdegoes" <john@...> wrote:

            > --- In blueeyes-web@yahoogroups.com, "janx_sprit" <greggcarrier@> wrote:
            > > Thanks for creating the framework and this group. I'm just getting my feet wet but I had some initial questions, one of which involves deployment.
            >
            > Sure, happy to help!
            >
            > > It looks like the natural way to deploy Blueeyes services is as an independent server process per service. Is it possible or are there plans to provide for deployment into a traditional application server as a war?
            >
            > We have no plans to do this ourselves, although if someone contributes a servlet engine, I'm happy to incorporate it into the main distribution.
            >
            > > Is it possible to wrap Blueeyes services in a servlet somehow? Thanks!
            >
            > BlueEyes is very modular, and it's possible to replace nearly any part of it without affecting other parts. In order to support a servlet container, you would have to create a new implementation of HttpServerEngine, which would implement a servlet interface.
            >
            > Let me know if you need any help doing this.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > John

          • Noel Welsh
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 14, 2012
              Cool stuff. I've added a few notes to the book about this, in the Deployment chapter. It is just a rewording of your post.

              N.