reading group

  • djpowers@swbell.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2009
      I enjoyed meeting the group last night and look forward to our continued work together.

      Is anyone interested in starting a reading group? In the past a friend and I picked a spiritual book and met once a week to discuss our reading. It was a wonderful experience. Unfortunately he has moved from Austin and I thought perhaps some in this group might be interested. Easwaran has several good text translations that we can start with. For instance, we could start with his translation of the Dhammapada. My thought is that we would assign a few chapters each week and then meet either at a coffee shop, park, or someone's house and discuss for probably about an hour and a half or so. Perhaps we could meet before satsang on Tuesdays at 5:30 at a nearby coffeeshop or restaurant and then finish up in time to head over to satsang.

      If anyone is interested, please contact me at djpowers@....

      Take care.

      D.J.
    • christina.borger
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2009
        Hi D.J.

        I would love to be part of a reading group. Tuesdays at 5:30 is the perfect time as well.

        Christina

        --- In blue_mountain_satsang_austin@yahoogroups.com, "djpowers@..." <djpowers@...> wrote:

        > I enjoyed meeting the group last night and look forward to our continued work together.
        >
        > Is anyone interested in starting a reading group? In the past a friend and I picked a spiritual book and met once a week to discuss our reading. It was a wonderful experience. Unfortunately he has moved from Austin and I thought perhaps some in this group might be interested. Easwaran has several good text translations that we can start with. For instance, we could start with his translation of the Dhammapada. My thought is that we would assign a few chapters each week and then meet either at a coffee shop, park, or someone's house and discuss for probably about an hour and a half or so. Perhaps we could meet before satsang on Tuesdays at 5:30 at a nearby coffeeshop or restaurant and then finish up in time to head over to satsang.
        >
        > If anyone is interested, please contact me at djpowers@...
        >
        > Take care.
        >
        > D.J.

      • mwholloway17
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2009
          Hi All,

          Thanks for the great feedback, D.J. Right now, though, I think another group would fracture the energy and attention I can give to our young satsang. I might be interested once we've all had some time to get to know one another.

          Perhaps, however, this is an opportunity to open the question of our satsang's reading materials. Betsy made the natural suggestion of Easwaran's "Meditation" (recently re-published as "Passage Meditation"). If others are amenable to starting with this book, we could submit a group order to the Center.

          Matt
        • D.J. Powers
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2009

            I certainly don’t want to do anything to endanger the success of our new group, so I’m happy to put off the reading group idea for a while until we feel comfortable with the idea.

            Thanks for your thoughts Matt.

            Take care.

            D.J.