February 25, 2005: New and Old

  • Louis Rosenfeld
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2005
      February 25, 2005: New and Old

      Not blogging much lately; too busy, and maybe a bit intellectually
      over-stimulated. Blame temporarily living in the same town with people like
      Victor Lombardi, Peter van Dijck, Tanya Rabourn, Liz Danzico, Michael
      Angeles, Karen McGrane, Dave Heller, and lots of other folks whom I hope I
      haven't offended by neglecting to mention. As much as I'm looking forward
      to biking Washtenaw County's back roads this spring, it'll be difficult to
      leave NYC.

      A couple of quick announcements:

      * From the "Sad, but Probably for the Best" Department: AIfIA is changing
      its name to The Information Architecture Institute. The initial 'a' came
      from Asilomar, the incredible meeting center outside Monterey where a dozen
      of us met to get AIfIA started. A great meeting, a great time, but an
      irrelevant place to those who weren't there. So we're going with a more
      generic, though descriptive name, as well as a great new identity (courtesy
      James Spahr) and domain name (iainstitute.org).

      * From the "A Decade Can Really Fly By" Department: The Internet Public
      Library is celebrating its tenth birthday. I have a vivid memory of sitting
      in the basement of Cava Java café in Ann Arbor with Joe Janes, who had this
      great idea that he just had to share with someone. I loved it, but didn't
      see how the IPL could be sustained financially. Well, I was right and
      wrong: the IPL hasn't always known where its next dime would come from, but
      thanks to the passion and energy of its staff, student team members, and
      many, many volunteers, the world fortunately still has an IPL. Kudos to
      IPLers past and present.

      BLOUG PERMALINK & COMMENTS
      http://louisrosenfeld.com/home/bloug_archive/000338.html

      LINKS MENTIONED